Author Topic: Gt Grandfather John Grant farmer of Knockanbuie, look-up  (Read 13294 times)

Offline MerseyMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Gt Grandfather John Grant farmer of Knockanbuie, look-up
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters
After extensive research my into my grandfather's family in Moray, a distant relative passed me some information she had gathered. It says my Gt grandmother Alexina Cameron Smith (nee Payne) had an illegitimate child (my grandfather) John Grant Payne born 5th Oct 1920 at Elgin Poor House. On this information I have received it says the reputed father of my grandfather was a John Grant, a farmer at Knockanbuie who is reported as being deceased in 1924. I cannot find anything out about knockanbuie apart from Knockanbuie is a cottage not a place like I thought. Do any rootschatters with a knowledge of Moray history know anything about Knockanbuie or farmers at knockanbuie who were deceased before 1924 but were alive in 1920. I have info all about my gt grandmother and her family, but her fling with this reputed John Grant farmer at Knockanbuie has left me stuck on finding anything out about this chap.
Many thanks for reading
Barrie
Payne's from Elgin Scotland and Burnet Texas,
Wilsons from Moreton Cheshire,
Burton's from Garsdale, Bootle, Birkenhead, Kendal's from Westmorland,
Mitchell's from Birkenhead Cheshire and Dyserth North Wales.
Dyton's from St Albans, Kidderpore India, Mhow India and New York.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gt Grandfather John Grant farmer of Knockanbuie, look-up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barrie

Have you tried searching for Knockanbuie +grant on google? I can see a number of references there with these search criteria. From the first page of results for example:

In 1929 Hugh was employed as 4th Horseman at Orbliston farm. He had previously been employed as a farm servant at Knockanbuie by John Grant who Isabella was first married to.John Grant died and Isabella married Hugh and he became farm manager. Hugh had been wounded in WW1 and took to drink.
Isabella drowned herself and her four children in the Spey River in June 1929 at Fochabers very near Orbliston. I have some photographs taken in the area by a friend a few years ago and would be happy to send copies on to you.

Also, www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/15066/pages/381/page.pdf - first entry, l/h column.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Also, if you have not already done so, try a person search on the free Libindx site for Moray folk.

Graham.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
The Hugh McDonald mentioned in the post above is in my family tree. He marred Isabella in October 1924. She was previously married to John Grant of Knockanbuie Farm. Her maiden name was Mackenzie.

If this is the John Grant you are interested in, then if you can find his death certificate on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you may be able to trace him backwards from there.

Regards
Jean

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 December 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Looks like John Grant married Isabella McKenzie in 1921.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 December 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this?

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/MORAY/2003-06/1056210223

This http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1396399  might also be of interest.

There's another Knockanbuie at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH8452, by the way.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 December 11 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,I wonder if they have the correct parents on that link.They have John's father as William Grant,a soldier but on the marriage I have he is John Grant,a farmer.

1921 15th March marriage at Knockanbuie

John Grant 65 farmer. Parents John Grant farmer and Margaret Grant maiden name Grant.

Isabella McKenzie 25 domestic servant. Parents Neil Campbell general labourer and Elsie Mckenzie.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
If so this would be John aged 5.1861 census Knockanbuie

John Grant 36 born Cromdale farmer of 20 acres arable,30 pasture
Margaret Grant 35 farmers wife born Abernethy Inverness
Anabella 8 daughter born Cromdale
Catherine 6 daughter born Cromdale
John 5 son born Cromdale
Margaret 3 daughter born Cromdale
Marjory 1 daughter born Cromdale
John Grant 18 servant
John McIntosh 16 servant
Jessie Grant 19 servant
Ranold Cameron 25 ag lab
Malcolm Campbell 25 ag lab

By 1871 his acreage has increased to 250.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 December 11 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if they have the correct parents on that link.

I don't think they're talking about the same generation. This thread is probably about the one aged 5 in 1861, and the older thread is probably about his father. John, son of William Grant and Sarah Green, was born in 1826.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.