Author Topic: Crawford Family  (Read 4209 times)

Offline gazza292

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crawford Family
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've hit a bit of a road block or should i say more of a mental confusing now with the crawford side of my family

I am trying to find Robert Crawfords parents the information i have so far is:

Robert Crawford c.1867/1866 (according to his age at the 1911 census if his birthday was after september his birthdate would be the latter)

Married: Sarah Smith c.1865 parents: John smith c.1834 and sarah Smith c.1835

Children:

Albert Victor Crawford c.1891, Sarah Crawford c.1889, Lily Crawford c.1893, Robert c.1896, john c.1907, James c.? and jinnie who was born and looks to have died between 1901 and 1911

All the crawford children apart from albert migrated to canada in the 1920's and thats the last i know of them apart from that lily and sarah came back a number of times and sent parcels.

37 in Strabane Old Road (Londonderry No. 5 Urban, Londonderry) was there address and john and sarah smith lived next door (38)

I may have found a birth certificate but cant confim if its him or not.

any help would be much appriciated with anything you can find on either canada or the crawfords.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to work back step by step to avoid tracing the wrong Crawford family (easily done with a common surname),

Robert and Sarah's marriage certificate should list their father's names and occupations which will help confirm any possible birth certificate you may find for Robert.

Bear in mind that civil registration of births started in 1864 so if they were born just before that date there will be no birth certificates.

Here's Robert Crawford and family in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__5_Urban/Strabane_Old_Road/607206/
and in 1901 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Strabane_Old_Road/1540804/

Jane Brown Crawford is listed in 1901 census but not with the family in 1911 (there is a daughter Jinnie in 1911). However, 1911 lists Sarah as the mother of 7 children with only 6 living and there are 7 Crwaford children in that census. Son James is not with them in 1901 but is there in 1911. James' age looks like 27 on scanned image-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002856686/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gazza292

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes jinnie in the 1911 census is Jane from the 1901 census from what i can tell, she passed away that year. That has an anonying habbit of putting nicknames for there children down.

I cant find a marriage certificate for robert and sarah or sarah ever exsisting for that matter apart from the census.

Theres only 2 robert crawfords births listed in derry (around the time he would have been born according to his age) one being 20 november 1866 and the other being 1868 (both on eitherside of what his age dictates) the census was done in september so if his birthday was november then his age would have matched 1866 that november (if that makes sense) 

but as you said i dont want to track the wrong crawford down.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I have found a Robert Ferguson Crawford born to James Crawford and Jane BROWNE on 23 April 1868 in Londonderry City. Parents married on 5 Apr 1860 in Great James Street Presbyterian Church. Bride's name is spelt BROWN.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gazza292

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
hmm thanks  ;D following the trend of the family it would explain Jane brown crawfords name

Can i ask where you found the information too, the places im using dont give me much apart from fhl numbers most of the time (ancestry.couk)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Gazza,
         I will send a personal message with the detail.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Robert Crawford married Sarah Smith, Glendermott Presbyterian Church, Londonderry, 1888, Roberts father James Crawford, Sarah's father John Smith

Apr-Jun Quarter 1888
Londonderry
Vol 2
Page 185
Civil marriage register

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Jday

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 18 02:37 BST (UK) »
Robert had several children. My grandfather John Andrew one of them. John Andrew was my maternal grandfather.