Author Topic: Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire  (Read 7572 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jnorrey,
Welcome to Rootschat. The William and Jane Tough living at Short Loanings, 27, Aberdeen, St Machar, Aberdeenshire in 1901 - along with son James born in Aboyne in 1889 and his three siblings - is this your family?
Jen

PS Not sure if this should be moved to a topic in it's own right?
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jnorrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi jennywren001
WOW!! That was a quick response - am delighted  :)
Did you find this address from a census?
I believe it is the same couple, will need to check the address as the birth certificates for the children seem to vary with each one - the children would be James Charles b.1888, Mary Ann b.1890, Joseph Kean b.1895 & Harry William b.1899 & my Gran Agnes Stewart b.1901

Does this agree with info you have?
I believe William went 'missing' after Jane died in 1902 & the Tough's became blackmarked  by the Kean family - although we know Joseph & Mary kept in touch from South Carolina & visited Aberdeen.

Thank you so much for your response

Offline jnorrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 March 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Hi
Sorry, have checked my info against the confirmation from the 1901 census & it is them. Jane is likely to have been expecting my Gran at the time.
I know that Joseph Kean Tough died in an accident at Aberdeen Harbour on Oct 29 1914 & Harry William died in France on July 22 1918 (coincidentally my Grans 17th birthday  :-[)- he is buried at the Terlingthun British Cemetery.
Then with James & Mary leaving for the US, I believe my Gran felt rather alone, although she was raised by her aunt we think she held a grudge?
I also think, through finding him on Scotlands People, that there may have been another brother - prior to Jane marrying William, William Alexander Kean Tough b.1883 (father later added as James Gilmour) but again I do not know what became of him?
I have been trying to piece together the family of the father, William Tough and he is proving elusive - especially as I no longer have the time I would love to dedicate to this.

I am also desperately trying to find out what happened to *my fathers half sister!!

Families are fun  ;D

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 March 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
The William Kean born Portlethen 1883 is with the family in 1891 - I'm presuming you have his birth certificate and there's an RCE naming the father as James Gilmore. From the marriage certificate of William and Jane you'll have both their parents names so I'm not quite sure where you are stuck.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not to have replied sooner but I am away from home at the moment. I should just say that my Tough family are from Auchindoir and Clatt but I am sure there are connections with the Toughs in Aberdeen.
Regards Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline McBain Tough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 October 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Tough relatives

I happened to be looking for my mum's grandparents and during this search discovered  this photo of my dad's mum (Robert Wilson Mortimer), I am the granddaughter of Elizabeth McBain Tough. I also have the same photograph. I never met Granny Mortimer, Elizabeth married James Mortimer and they lived in Pitcaple.
I would be interested to know more about my granny. My mum is still alive but her memories are fading, she used to visit Granny Mortimer in Auld Rayne if I remember correctly. As a child I used to visit with the son of Helen or Isabella, I am not sure which one. His name was Jimmy Wilson, of South Blackbog Oldmeldrum. i now live in Canada so not sure if any of these relatives are still alive Jimmy sadly died many years ago when I was about 10 years old.
Would be nice to connect with any of the Tough Sister siblings (Cousins) i know my dad talked about Auntie Annie and I think one sister had polio.
Thank you
Eleanor

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 October 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Eleanor
Very nice to hear from you. I am the great-granddaughter of Isabella Hendry Tough who is seated left in the photo. Your grandmother is seated right and she is the half-sister of the others. Her parents were William McBain and Mary Charlotte Julia Gordon Henry (1855-1921) and the other sisters were the daughters of Mary Charlotte and George Tough (1855-1938). The Jimmy Wilson you visited was, I think, the son of Helen Tough and Thomas Wilson. Helen is sitting between Isabella and Elizabeth. I never met any of the sisters unfortunately and have never been to Aberdeenshire. My grandparents moved to England when my father was 7 but he did go back to visit his grandmother for holidays. He remembers very well when they went on day trips to visit all the aunts and cousins in a car rented with a driver.
I had originally thought that these were all the Tough sisters but one of Robina's sons identified all of them and Hannah Booth Tough (the youngest) lived in a home so is not in the photo. Perhaps she was the one who had polio?
I have a tree on Ancestry which would give you lots of information but we are not allowed to give out our email addresses on this forum. Perhaps if you do a search on Ancestry you will find my tree - Isabella Henry Tough family tree (it is private) and message me through Ancestry.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline McBain Tough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 October 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline, I am delighted to hear from you!
I had thought that my granny may have had a different Dad so thank you for knowing his name and the dates that you provided for my great granny as well. I think that my granny must had died during the 1950's I wasn't born until the 1960's so was sad that I had not met her. My Dad was the youngest of Elizabeth's 5 children

I was also really interested to hear about your grandparents and them moving to England. Dad may not have kept in touch with all his cousins (must have been a large family)

Jimmy Wilson married Margaret Skinner and she was very instrumental in keeping the Tough/Wilson family tree, she would make visits into Aberdeen to the records department and I know had done quite well with her research. I may try to contact her children my second cousins to see what information she may have left with them. They would still be in Scotland around Oldmeldrum area.

It would also be great to continue the research and thank you for letting me know about the other site and I would greatly appreciate being able to connect the other sisters through your tree.

Thank you
Eleanor M

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 October 16 21:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)
Please click on this link to find out about the private message system on rootschat;
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
As a new member you need to make 3 posts before using the pm.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.