Author Topic: Blyth railway.  (Read 11372 times)

Offline lifeofbrian1942

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth railway.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 February 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »

My name is Brian Forster, and I was born at 2 Railway Cottages, New Hartley, on 5th July 1942. I have stumbled across this thread about the Blyth Branch Line, and love it.
The cottage I was born in was where my Grandparents, Charles and Elizabeth Royce lived as workers for the LNER. Charlie was a Ganger Platelayer, and Elizabeth opened and closed the level-crossing gates.
My father, Cyril Forster, a Londoner, was in the army and based at a nearby camp, and met my mother Gladys Royce at the Hartley Workmen's Club in the village, married and sired me before shipping out to North Africa with the 1st army.
After he returned, in 1945, and trying to make a go of it, he and Mum gave up after the severe Winter of 1947, and moved to London,
I returned for my school holidays right up until about 1956, and had a close relationship to my Grandparents, until Elizabeth passed away in 1954. Charlie lived on for many more years.
My fondest memories are of him taking me on the train to Blyth, then onto the worker's Ferry which toured the shipyards. We would also go to the Blyth Markets, and have crab meat from a seafood stall.
Elizabeth (nee Johnston) had a brother, and perhaps other relatives in Newsham, and Charlie also had friends there. He would take me there on the train, and to a Lawn Bowls Club, where I learnt to play Dominoes with his old mates. They also taught me about the "bias" of a set of woods.
Each year I went to visit, Charlie would take me once to the Spanish City at Whitley Bay. We would get the train from New Hartley to Monkseaton, and walk down in the beach town. He was a wonderful man, and I retain a mental image of him hanging on to his Trilby hat as we hurtled down the Big-Dipper.
As the Railway Cottages were some way out of the Village of Hartley, there was a man called Shelly, who drove a horse and cart loaded with vegetable produce and bottles of "Pop". My favourite was Dandelion and Burdock.
I live in Sydney Australia now, but in 2009, aged 67, I returned to the UK to visit my ailing Mum, and take a road trip to my birthplace. The railway is gone now, but the cottage remains, albeit much modernised. The old Station-Master's House is also there, and I met and spoke with the owner. I told him I had spent my first 5 years and many subsequent youthful holidays running around the station. His son or daughter lives in the cottage I know and love so well, but she was not home, so I didn't get an opportunity to be invited in one last time.
Because of my bithplace, I have a lasting affinity with railways, especially steam, but I am now involved with the Sydney Heritage Fleet, where I am a Tour Guide aboard a 3-Masted Barque now called James Craig, but originally launched as Clan Macleod, from the Barttram and Haswell Shipyards, Sunderland in 1874. I can not let my roots go

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 February 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful to hear from you Brian.

I posted a number of pictures of Blyth that you might like to see on the WWW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/

An internet friend of mine posted a good number of New Hartley there too.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=new%20hartley

Hopefully that will bring back more memories for you, and add to the mistiness of the eyes.

Enjoy and very best wishes to you

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 September 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi I was browsing your Site for the above person, he was my Wife's Grandfather, part of you text said that he was killed at Bebside Signal Cabin, I'm afraid that is wrong, he was killed at Blyth Signal Cabin along with an I Brown he actually lived at Railway Cottages Bebside as far as I know the Signal Cabin at Bebside was not touched that night in fact it was demolished a few years ago the Bombers attacked Blyth that fateful night I do not think Bebside was touched as is a good way from the Town of Blyth... .
Thank You
Leslie

A message from a website visitor who wished the following message to be passed on.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 September 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting the confirmation.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.