Author Topic: Knockainey and Lough Gur  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Mary OGrady

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knockainey and Lough Gur
« on: Monday 12 December 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
The community of Knockainey and Lough Gur in south east Co.Limerick are looking for descendants of people who left here over the years. If you think that your ancestors came from this area, please contact us. We're planning to welcome our diaspora back, under the Ireland Reaching Out project. Please get in touch if you're interested.  Mary

Offline OCiarmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Knockainey and Lough Gur
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
Thanks for the info. Our KIRBY (O'CIARMHAIC) family are descendants of the kings of
Small County, East Limerick, though we don't wear a crown these days!
My grandad was born at Skule Bog, Fedamore, my grandmother, Mary Hartnett, in Murroe.
She is the well known 'Mary from Murroe', born in Ballyvoreen, Glenstall, c1850.
My dad, Michael Kirby was a founder teacher at Copswood College, Pallaskenry, in 1919.
Good luck and hope to meet you when I am next over.
(Photo: James & Mary Kirby)

Offline Heather5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
My great-great grandmother was Mary Shanahan (later Shannon), baptised  5 April 1829 at Knockainy parish, Limerick. Parents were Matthew Shanahan and Honora Simms. She emigrated to Australia, married a police superintendent's son, and had lots of kids in Melbourne and New Zealand. If you're still planning a reunion, count me in!
cheers, Heather

Offline mattscar75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 05:26 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my wife's Irish family lines that ended up in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Her founding Irish ancestors were John McAuliffe and Bridget Lloyd and he had a brother-in-law named Timothy Houlihan b. abt 1858 whose family had ties to Knockainey and Killcullane in Limerick. At this time I do not know the exact place of origin for the McAuliffe family in Limerick. From other peripheral families that married into the extended family of the McAuliffe's that settled in Chicago they were from this area, also Knocklong and Herbertstown.  So I presume the McAuliffe are from this general area give or take a few miles.