Author Topic: Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON  (Read 10050 times)

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON
« on: Monday 12 December 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble finding a marriage record for Scott Aitken (Aitkin) to Margaret Jamieson, assumed married in Ontario.  He, born in Papil, Shetland (1824) and after some 20 years on the high seas and as a captain on a vessel in the Great Lakes, settled in the Windermere area of Ontario, close to his brother. 
I have searched LDS micro-films, Ancestry and taken a stab at Great Lakes nautical records to no avail.
Appears in Canadian Census 1871 (Aitkin), 1881 (Aitkin), with two "children", which I believe were British Home Children in 1891 (Atken) and 1901 (Aitkin) prior to his death in 1907.  All Census' are with spouse.
Death record and tombstone have spelling AITKEN.
Anyone out there have any other ideas?
Aitken, Pottinger & Jamieson - Shetland Islands, SCT
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
Pickett - England & PA/CT,USA
and ALL above - Canada

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scott AITKEN (AITKIN) - Margaret JAMIESON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
This url will take you to the Ontario cemetery finding aid;
http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php
You should find where they are buried.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you know for a fact that Margaret's last name was Jamieson?  Jamieson was her mother's maiden name according to Margaret's death registration.

The 1901 Census gives Margaret's immigration date as 1868 so a Canadian marriage should have been registered if it took place.

You seem to have covered all the bases, not sure what else to suggest.

dollylee

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you vbain and dollylee for your responses.  :)
I have the photo of a gravestone giving both of their names, Scott and Margaret.
The death registration for Margaret seems to be written up weirdly, in that she is listed as Mrs Scott Aitkin instead of Margaret Aitkin, which caused the LDS transcript to be Scott Aitkin.
I do not know her parentage, or rather have not investigated it.  Scott's mother was a Jamieson in the Shetlands, so it is quite likely there were other Jamieson families around.  I shall take a look at the Bayanne site to investigate further into the Jamieson's.
Dollylee, your mentioning Margaret's immigration as 1868, made me take another look at the 1901 census record and I had missed that previously.  For some reason I had her being born in Windermere, Ontario.  Ooops and thanks.
Speaking of 1901 Canadian Census, it mentions Scott as being born in 1823.  He was in fact born in 1824 according to the Papil, Burra, Shetland baptismal record.   
It just struck me, now that I know she immigrated, I wonder if they were married in the Shetlands and she didn't come over to Canada until he settled down from his sea faring ways.  Seems that happened in the late 1850's.  Hmmmm   :-\
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
and ALL above - Canada

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
if you can find a fairly large library, you may be able to get transcripts of the stone.
You might try the Ontario Genealogical Society.
They would charge a small amount.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
vbain the poster said they had photos of the existing stones so why would they need a transcription?
I knew this family sounded all too familiar...
Couldn't this have been discussed on the old thread...or at least had a link to it in the original reply?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,473643.0.html

Are you sure both the families were here in 1871? You said he lived near his brother, but the brother would have come to live by him... I imagine you mean Thomas and wife Agnes, whose children were all born Scotland...? I am wondering as I didn't see scott in 1871 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.  Yes you are correct about an earlier post to do with this family.  The first post was to do with the possibility of the children listed in the 1891 Canadian Census being British Home Children.  This post is specifically trying to target their marriage date/record.  Thank you for posting a link.  It may ultimately help.
The photo of the grave marker I have is from Ullswater, Muskoka.  Strange though, there are no dates on the stone. 
Yes I am sure both Scott/Margaret and Thomas/Agnes were here in 1871.  Not sure when Thomas immigrated, but he married Agnes (Fife) in June 1850 in Peterborough County.  Her brother David and Thomas' sister Helen married the same time.  All three families ended up in Muskoka area, farming just down the road from each other.
All of Thomas/Agnes children were born in Allendale Mills, Otonabee, Peterborough area, not Scotland as you suggest.
Yes, I guess Thomas did come to live near Scott as you suggested.  In 1871 Thomas' family was still in Otonabee Twp, while Scott was in Muskoka, Watt Twp.
If you have access to the 1879 Watt Twp map, you see Thomas Sr just off of Dee Bank Rd, with Thomas Jr next and Scott next to him.  David as metioned above is next closest to the lake.  The Thomas Aitken on the lake is also from Shetland, perhaps a cousin that I haven't connected yet.
Anyway I'm off topic.  Stlll searching for marriage record for Scott and Margaret.
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
and ALL above - Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes sorry, I quickly saw a census transcription and my eyes deceived me...I was looking for her on a ship's list...didn't see her. She may have come steerage with one of his ships. Where did you find that Margaret's maiden name was Jamieson? I do also see Scott now, but he is Atkin in 1871...
ah, now see the transcription on this site says the surname was spelled both ways page 24 and 24
http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/7ab/c7atk001.htm#atkin
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you know for a fact that Margaret's last name was Jamieson?  Jamieson was her mother's maiden name according to Margaret's death registration.

dollylee

Hey J.J. , how you doing?

He got it from the death registration.  But it probably wasn't  her last name as it was her mothers maiden name. 

dollylee