Author Topic: Vance Family Harthill  (Read 29663 times)

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Vance Family Harthill
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Rose Marie,

That newspaper reference was the first mention I'd seen of Eric, hence my query about who he is/was. I've looked at Scotlands People and found:
VANCE
ERIC
M
SHOTTS (EASTERN DISTRICT)
/LANARK
655/02 0115

but there's no access to the details without ordering a copy which costs £12, so it will have to wait - which is a pity because, as I've mentioned, the one thing I want to find is a male Vance who is prepared to have a DNA test done.

I've since found lots of info on Ancestry, posted by a Vance - but it's flawed, to say the least, so I don't know what to believe. For example, Eric's father is said to have been born in Ireland in 1890, to be in Scotland in the 1841 census and in the USA in the 1880 census! I'm trying to contact the person who posted the info for clarification.

If this person is essentially right about the family, he doesn't appear to be a descendant of John Vance and Catherine Hoay, but could be related in an earlier generation.

Of course if I find anything worthwhile, I'll post it.
Regards,
Jamie.

Offline ShelleyVF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 February 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I understand this is an old thread but I have just came across it whilst starting to look into my family tree.i believe from what I can gather that I would be John Vance + Catherine Hoey's Great great great granddaughter? I'm new to this but I can trace directly back from my dads side,Elizabeth Vance and James Mcready Brown being my great great grandparents.I only started looking because my middle name is actually Vance and always wondered where it had came from originally.i noticed on one of the attachments from an earlier post that someone posted here that they could not find anymore on Elizabeth Vance + James Brown's family after 1881 census and wondered if they had emigrated else where,I'm assuming they mustn't have because all my family is from edinburgh,and my father and grandparents were born in scotland.

Offline Buffalobill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 March 14 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Just came across your post and noticed that I'm also connected to the Vance family through the Sneddons. Fred,Archibald and Catherine all married into the same Sneddon Family.  The Sneddons are my great aunts and uncles. 

Offline rossianvance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
All,

My name is Ross Ian Vance. Eric Vance from Harthill (1929) is my father and John Vance and Mary Anne Carson Vance from Harthill are my grandparents. I have spent years tracing my specific family history and would be glad to fill in some wholes. I understand this thread is old, but my email is rossianvance@gmail.com or we can Chat on this forum. I would also be fascinated by some of your research. Especially Chesapek. Is this thread still alive?

Ross Ian

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I am the person that's researching the Vance family from Harthill my uncle is John Vance his family had the ice cream business in Harthill around1955/60 or beyond if you pm me I will give you all the info I have if it is the same line which I think it is

Offline rossianvance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hey Chesapek! Glad to hear from you. I tried for about 15 minutes to figure out how to PM in this forum and my best determination is that I do not have the rights, being a 'one-star' member. Again, my email is  (*). Please drop me a line or send me you address and we can compare notes. :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 25 April 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross
Do you know who your grandfather John's parents were? I am pulling all the information I have on the Vance family from Harthill just now for my Uncle but I can't find the connection with Eric

Rose Marie

Offline rossianvance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 25 April 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
My father Eric Vance has one brother, Ross Vance, who's wife, Frida, lives in Harthill today. Ross and Eric's parents were John Thomas Vance and Mary Anne (Annie) Carson. Mary Ann's parents owned the chain of mercantile shops throughout Scotland. Their names were James (Jamie) Carson and Jane Eaton. Mary had at least one sister, named Kattie. John Vance's parents where Thomas Vance and Elizabeth Rennie. John, also, had a brother named Robert. Thomas, John Thomas, and Ross (3 generations) all worked in the Coal mines.

Thats our family history back to great grandparents anyway. What have you gathered?

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 26 April 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
In the Vance line I am researching there was a Thomas Vance born In 1900/01 and lived at 62&63 Muirhead Row Shotts do you know if he was the father of John Thomas. Robert Vance and Elizabeth Peden Vance were the parents of Thomas