Author Topic: The wrecking of the Nova Zembla 1878  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The wrecking of the Nova Zembla 1878
« on: Tuesday 13 December 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

Apart from the details of the wrecking of the Nova Zembla, given on the Shetlopedia website, can anybody direct me to any more information about the wreck. I don't quite understand if it was wrecked in 1878, how it then went on until 1901 or 1902, when I think it finally was wrecked. Are we talking about the same ship? I read that it was rebuilt. Was that a total rebuild or were parts of the old ship still used as a framework? Does anybody know, where the rebuild was done?

Best wishes,

Dave
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: The wrecking of the Nova Zembla 1878
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 18:45 GMT (UK) »
The Shetlopedia site states that the ship was refloated -

http://shetlopedia.com/Nova_Zembla

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The wrecking of the Nova Zembla 1878
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 11 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev,

What I find confusing, is that in the second paragraph, it says that it hit a rock and became "a total loss". I suppose, it wasn't so badly damaged after all, as it was later refloated.

Best wishes,

Dave  :)
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)