Author Topic: Craggs Family - Keighley c1883 -1886  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craggs Family - Keighley c1883 -1886
« on: Tuesday 13 December 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to place this family in the Keighley area - probably in Cullingworth. between 1883 -1886

Mother  known as Fanny Craggs - 5 children Joseph , Annie, Ellen, William, James. No fFather with them.

also known as Fanny Kelly.

Was known to family in Bingley Mr J. Crabtree.   

any thoughts appreciated
Essnell

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Craggs Family - Keighley c1883 -1886
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you got them on 1881 census (free to search) ?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb,

Yes I have. This is where I started from. They were in Abbeystead Huts no 5 in Over Wyresdale. which is in Lancashire.
They must have moved into the Keighley area after that because the Mother Fanny Craggs or Kelly died in 1886 in Cullingworth. the younger two boys would have still been school aged, Ellen was 13.  I have acquired the death Cert.

Apparently Fanny's maiden name is Massey.

I was hoping to find just where in Cullingworth they were. I had thought of electoral rolls but those would have only had men at that time.

Thanks
Essnell

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 14:57 GMT (UK) »
OK - so you are looking for where they were living specifically in between those specific dates 1883-1886.
Unless anything happened in the family that warranted a written record being made (e.g a birth or death, entry in a trade directory, Will) and then that record surviving, then there wont be any way to find out where they were.

What sort of people were they? Manual workers tended to leave few records other than B, M and D's, Tradespeople might have entries in Directories, Gentry tend to leave more records!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what sort of people they were. 
Possibly workers.

The "father" who seems to have died according to Ellen's accounts of being an orphan at 13 yrs was a stone mason but also worked for the railways. No very little about this person.

Mother ran a lodging house when in Lancashire,1881. The Mother died on 10 Dec 1886. The record says at Cullingworth. There is a possible marriage in 1883 - unconfirmed.

Essnell

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
THere are definitely Craggs around Keighley - I see in 1881 there is another Fanny Craggs there!

Looking at 'your' Fanny in 1881, living in Lancashire, I see she states she is married - any idea where her husband was?

When she dies in 1886 (I did wonder if this death was the other Fanny Craggs, but not so likely as she is 20 years younger) who is the informant?
How is she described - does it say anything helpful like 'wife of....' or 'widow of....'. And what address is given, is it just 'Cullingworth' or any more detail?

You mention a 1883 marriage - who is this for?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
no idea where he was.  I've tried to locate him but nothing seems to fit.

didn't know about the second Fanny Craggs - there are quite a lot.
Original informant was 16yr old son - Joseph

Cert altered later by stat dec from both joseph and Jabez Crabtree.  I have not seen this stat dec only it is mentioned on the death cert. there are two identical records - one for Fanny Craggs and the other for Fanny Kelly. originally given as 'wife of' then changed to 'housekeeper to'.

The 1883 marriage is for Fanny Craggs at Richmond York.  Nothing on John Craggs the ? . have not found who she married. there a several possibilities to this.

I am totally mystified  - Essnell

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Sounds as if Fanny Kelly never did marry Mr Craggs, and for some reason these Crabtree people wanted that made clear on the death cert. That is a bit of a mystery as to why and would be interesting to pursue.

I would imagine the Fanny Craggs marriage in 1883 is the 22 yr old Fanny Craggs on 1881, who was in Keighley then, (I think, relying on memory, havent looked it up again today)

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb,

For some time what you say has been in my thoughts - however I don't know how to go about this.

what interestes me is why would this person know more about"Mr & Mrs Craggs" than the family.
and why John Craggs cannot be positively located.

What evidence did mr Crabtree give to the registrar. and whose kids are this lot in reality.  After Fanny died Ellen was taken in by the Crabtrees as a servant. and is with them in 1891 and the place of birth is different to that stated on the 1881 census, but is exactly as on her[Ellen's ] birth Cert. How would he have known these details.

I was told that the two young boys also went there{crabtrees] but this I haven't seen evidence of.

As you say this is a mystery that would be interesting to follow up but I have no idea where to start.

I am in Australia so getting into actual records is impossible and online searching can be doubtful.

Since Ellen is a direct relative I have a number of boxes of stuff to go through also not well organised by other now deceased family members. There might be some clues in that lot.

Ellen came to Aust. in 1900 and returned in 1912 coming back to family in 1914.

One other diversion in the plot is that Ellen said many times that an older child Sarah-ann Kelly didn't want her mother to marry.  How much older she was I do not know and have never traced her.
She may have gone to USA.

Essnell.
 :-\   :(