Author Topic: BALL family in Bickleigh/Staddiscombe  (Read 2492 times)

Offline basa364

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BALL family in Bickleigh/Staddiscombe
« on: Tuesday 13 December 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I'm trying to trace the parents of Richard Ball who was born about 1822 in Bickleigh, he married Eliza Tremeer in 1845 and lived in Plymstock/Staddiscombe.
Any info would be welcome, i already have all census info from 1841 on. Where can i see parish registers for Bickleigh, i'm new to parish stuff having done all my research on FMB and GRO records.
Thank You, Kevan.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ball family in Bickleigh/Staddiscombe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you asked Devon Family History Society for a printout from their baptism indexes?
See  www.devonfhs.org.uk/indexes.htm
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Also as they Married post 1837 the Marriage Cert will confirm his Fathers name and occp.

Trish :)

EDIT I really think you need the M/C.
One Family Tree has Richard as the Son of Richard/Agnes
This I believe to be wrong.
Your Richard has a Brother GEORGE c 1825, Bickley, living with him and Eliza in 1851.
The George, age 15, that appears on the 1841 Census with Richard/Agnes and a Son Richard, age 19,  is still with his Parents in 1851 Census. 1851 he is born Stourton.
Both George and Richard were probably not with their Parents in 1841 as they were old enought to work away from home.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline basa364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish,
               Thank you for the reply, I've ordered the marriage cert, it should be here soon. I think i've found Richard and George working and living on different farms in the shaugh prior/ bickleigh area in the 1841 census.
 I've got suspicions that their parents were George (from Bridestowe), and Johanna as they live near them in later years (1861). George and Johanna live in Bickleigh in 1841 but i don't have any solid proof that they're related yet. I'll see if i can figure out how to get baptism records from that parish, someone else has posted something about a Devon family history site.
                      Thank you again, Kevan.

Offline basa364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you asked Devon Family History Society for a printout from their baptism indexes?
See  www.devonfhs.org.uk/indexes.htm
Thank you for the advice i'll give it a go, Kevan.

Offline miball

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BALL family in Bickleigh/Staddiscombe
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Im guessing this page is from 2011, so am not surprised if i dont get a reply! I am about to set about tracing the Ball side of my ancestry, having some history for other parts of the tree but little in relation to my surname.

On Werelate another user (not on the Ball line) has updated the tree I relate to, as far back as Richard and Elizas son, William Henry Tremeer Ball, them being mentioned in a foot note:

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:William_Ball_(173)

I had through a few sources seem to get back to I think 1740s, to I think a William Ball, a pig farmer in the plymstock area, but didn't save my research, nor add it to the werelate tree.

I assume you may have found your information, but I am willing to share anything I find when I pick up my research again