Author Topic: Unidentified People in Old Photos  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unidentified People in Old Photos
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Like may others with boxes of old family photos, I have photos with unidentified people in them. There are two categories:

1. No known individuals.

2. Some known individuals, the rest unknown.

I'm going to attach an example of the 2nd type.

This is a photo from WWI, taken in England, I believe. My maternal grandfather, William Henry Dalley (1883 - 1965) is 3rd from the left. He was born in Cardiff, Wales.

Here's my question: I have no idea who the others are in the photo, but out there somewhere there are people who would know these men as their grandfathers, great grandfathers etc. Where could photos like this be posted to maximize the appropriate kind of exposure? I have many old family photos, and would love to share them with people who know any of the people in them.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified People in Old Photos
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the photo right now, I notice the chevrons, and it seems these men are all the same rank. I'm thinking that if they are all from the same outfit, somewhere there may be military records which would identify them, by finding out the names of those who served with my grandfather. I have some information about his unit, and I'll find it and post it.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Here's some military information in the attached image from my mother's birth record, dated Sep. 4, 1916, which shows where my grandfather was on that date, and information about his unit. I think he was in the Royal Engineers, but would appreciate more information from someone who know how to interpret this information.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cardano

I guess Rootschat is as good a place as any to put your photos in the hope someone might recognise a family member in it - I might post my grandparents' wedding group photo at some point as there are many unidentified people in it.

I see many people have read this but not commented - it might be worth posting a link to this thread on the military board and/or deciphering and recognition board to get some expert eyes on the uniforms and insignia  :)

Good luck with your research
Heather

p.s. once you've identified the regiment/unit there may well be a website where you could post your photo.  For example here's the Commando Veterans website  http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/main.php  we found photos of my Uncle on there with his comrades that his sister had never seen  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Heather.

I'll follow these suggestions.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
So far as I can see from the photo these men are all corporals, wearing the two stripes.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat isn't really a place for everyone to post lots of their unidentified old photos but I'm going to move this thread to Armed Forces board for you so the experts there can help with any military details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Id say they were Territorial Royal Engineers
Imperial Service badge on one of them and looks like RE shoulder title

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Heather, I have posted my grandparents wedding photo from 1896 on this site (Ayres/Brignell wedding) many of the people on the photo were unknown to me, but with a little work i have pinned them all down except three, how? First I had several talks with my mother, she was over 90 and her answers weren't always the same, but after a few sessions she became more consistent with the IDs, next by comparison of the 1901 and 1891 censuses with the partners of known people I was able to identify all but three of the rest. There are 17 people on the photo.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)