Author Topic: Unidentified People in Old Photos  (Read 7644 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified People in Old Photos
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
hi cardano
would it be possible to get a close up scan of the shoulder title of the chap lying down on the left as it would help identifying the reg for certain .
regards

trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
ps
just had another look at the pic and is it me or does the chap you say could be your grandad look as if he has a different style of uniform to the others , only he is wearing leather boots some of the others have puttees  also his uniform jacket has the extra patch sewn on it over the shoulders too help take the wear of his equipment plus obviously his ammunition pouch over the shoulder and even his trousers look more like the style mounted troops wore ?!!
regards
trevor
pps i,d like to hear the experts view on this
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

don't know if this helps - obviously and electrical engineer - (journeyman - time served) - attached to 3/2 Highland Field Company RE (405th RE) - part of 64th (2nd Highland) Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/64(2H)div.html

'In March 1916, the Division moved to England, with HQ being set up in Norwich. The brigades went to Kelling, Taverham and North Walsham; the artillery to Blickling and Worstead; RE at Norwich, Taverham, North Walsham and Kelling.'

David

PS - medal card link - def RE

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2224572&queryType=1&resultcount=12

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
T mo,

I hunted around to find the original photo to rescan, as blowing up the image I have didn't seem to bring out enough detail on the insignia. I'm playing around with the contrast etc. on the rescan to try to get maximum detail, but my scanner only goes up to 1200 DPI. Not sure how much more detail is in the photo; it's not in very good condition. The photo is one of those postcards which were so common in that era.

What I have determined so far is that the first two characters on the shoulder insignia look like HY to me, the rest being a shiny blur. I'm less sure of the 2nd character.

Will post the rescans when I get finished trying to improve them. Have to go out for a few hours.

Thanks for all the help people have posted so far.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 December 11 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Some of the men are wearing economy tunics again confirming the middle of WW1.

The 3/2nd Highland Field Company Royal Engineers (later renamed 405th Field Company) were (as Ady says TF, ie Territorial Force). The shoulder title should say T – RE – then their home county

The TF were part-timers who attended one evening a week, plus a two week annual camp. His low number suggests he was a pre-war member. He was later re-numbered to 402406. There is a medal card for him, but no record appears to be on Ancestry.

Composition of a RE Field Company - http://www.1914-1918.net/whatfieldcoy.htm

Ken

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 December 11 06:48 GMT (UK) »
km1971,

Interesting that you mention he was an early member. This is consistent with the background, which is as follows. He emigrated to Canada in 1908, where he met and married my grandmother in 1910. In May 1913, my grandmother sailed for Scotland with the two children (the younger dying on the voyage), my grandfather left for Scotland a few months later, and may have signed up before the outbreak of the war. My grandmother remained in Aberdeen with her mother for the duration of the war, and two more children, including my mother were born there. They all sailed for Canada in 1919.

I had always believed that the war was the reason they were all in the U.K. until a couple of years ago, when I found the passenger lists indicating they had left Canada in 1913. Now I don't know why they left. The other thing I had always believed was that he had been in the Canadian forces, not the British forces. Seeing my mother's birth record from Aberdeen corrected that.

Is there some way to find out the date he signed up?

Thanks very much for the information.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 December 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
The only way to find out with any certainty if his record didnt survive is to get a researcher to get your info from the Medal Rolls themselves...ie the actual book to which the index card online refers to.
This will have enlistment date and discharge date on it.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Doubled101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I am very sure that is my grandfather Cpl Robert Elphinstone laying on the grass on the right side of the photo. He enlisted from Aberdeenshire, Scotland into 405th Highland Field Co, Royal Engineers on 13 Feb 1915. To my knowledge he served with them until being transferred to 203rd Field Co, RE in Jun 1918 where he was wounded 3 times until being hospitalized for 4 months after being wounded on 28 Sep 1918. Do you have anymore pictures of 405th during the 1915-1918 time frame? Dave

Offline Doubled101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 February 18 01:58 GMT (UK) »
My 81 year old Mom has definitely confirmed the guy lying on grass on right side of photo is her Dad Cpl Robert Elphinstone. Thanks so much for posting that picture as its been going around the family all afternoon and evening! Hope there are more photos out there.