Author Topic: Missing info on Tulloch / Wallace  (Read 17046 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing info on Tulloch / Wallace
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 December 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi MS

Please let us know what BDM certificates you currently have

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 December 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi MS,

Do you have the Sth Australian birth certificate for your Gran, Gladys Sutherland, born 1911? 

Do you have the Sth Australian birth certificate for your Gran's father, William Alexander Sutherland, born 1882?

Do you have the death certificate for the father of William Alexander Sutherland?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Nola Wallace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My Great Grandfather was James Tulloch Wallace Married to Agnes Tweeddale sometimes spelt Tweadle (of Tweedale) family name Hay. Both born Glasgow. They had a business in or near Manchester.  Their children were William Hay, Eva an Kenneth James.
I think Eva married a french man and her son or sons died during the 2nd world war.
Kenneth married Mary Campbell Sinclair 19/7/1930 at Kersal Salford they had no issue. His address at the time was Prestwich and by then his father James was deceased.
My grandparents William Hay Wallace and Hilda Hoey.  They arrived at Fremantle Western Australia about 1927 with their three children William Hoey dec., John Hoey dec. and Kathleen Hoey. Born Lincoln Eng. 
William married and moved to Mt Gambia South Australia and his decendants are in SA, VIC, NSW.
Kathleens family are all in WA.
My father John (known as Jack) decendents are all in and around Perth WA except for one in QLD.
I think we may be searching the same tree.
Hope this helps.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nola,

Welcome to RootsChat, it is just the bestest place for helping with family history researchings.

If you make two more posts, you will have full access to all of RChat, and that means you would be able to contact MS Harmer, via the PM (Private/Personal Messages) system, and so perhaps validate your research by swapping copies of certificates or other official documents. 

Just reply twice more on this thread  :)  even if to write "Hi" each time.

Cheers,   JM (not a relative, just an RChatter based in NSW ) 

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nola Wallace,
it's been a while since I've looked at the Sutherland tree.
In regards to the name Tweedle the only references I have to that name come from an old birthday book that belonged to my grandmother, they are as follows;

Mr Tweedle was Mayor of Brighton, Adelaide abt 1924
Mr or mrs Tweedle died 22nd Dec. 1941
They were passengers on board the ship The Oaklands
Arrived Port Adelaide 9 Sep. 1877

The book also mentions that  he or she returned to Scotland but died at sea in 1928.

Other names mentioned in the book are ;

Mrs Corrigan
Mrs McDonald
Mrs Robertson
Mrs McPhie
Mrs Driscoll

If any of this is of any help could you let me know as I have nothing on them and had no idea that there was a connection to the Wallace branch. I'd also like to know if any of it is correct.
I have part of there tree,  James Wallace and Catherine Tulloch and there 7 children.
I'd love to see what you have and maybe add to what I have.

Regards

Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline Nola Wallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 December 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello MS Harmer,
James Tulloch Wallace could be the eldest son.  I read James Wallace Snr died overseas and Catherine returned to Lanarkshire to live out her life.  I have found Families of Mcilmoyle, Wallace and Tulloch in Londonderry Northern Island and have been researching there lately.  I will visit my Aunt Kathleen in the next few days and ask her if she knows any of the names on your list. Aunty has told me there was a connection to Ireland on the Wallace side.  By the way, where do you live?
Nola   

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi MS Harmer, Sorry have not been doing this for a while. Aunty didn't know the names as her father died when she was very young and the only person they were in contact with after that was Eva. My grandfather fell out with his father and that is when they came out to Australia. James and James's father both used the nick name Jas and they were both salters.(miners) - James Wallace & Co. Mines at Kilsyth, Boghead, Neilson partner in William Baird & Co and Eglington Iron. Found Jas Wallace on the passenger lists around 1900 twice on his own and once with his wife. They stopped at Fremantle, Albany and Adelaide. My James Tulloch Wallace had a sister Catherine Tulloch Wallace married to Sutherland and is listed on Scotland records in a divorce along with her brothers and a Thomas Tulloch. When I opened the site the page was blank. Your Martha Tulloch must have been Catherine's younger sister.
The spelling of Mcelmoyle keeps changing throughout the same family. The modern spelling is Mcilmoyle. I found Rev James Wallace and John Mcelmoyle in the same town near Antrim Ireland. John Mcelmoyle left Ireland as a 35 yr old single man around 1796 (flight of the loyalists) and went to America. Then because of American Independence and being on the side of the English he moved to Canada. There he married Mary Dysart. They had Rebecca and Thomas (British Secret Service).
Found William Wallace with sons William & James of Stradreagh near Londonderry (flax growers & harvested salt on their farm) on the passenger records from Londonderry to Nova Scotia around 1803. One of these Williams married Shaw and they continued with salt harvesting in Canada. They were loyalists. Found marriage record for James Wallace -m- Rebecca Mcelmoyle in Canada they had one son only James Wallace -m- Catherine Tulloch in Glasgow. Rebecca Died Glasgow 1863 just after their son was married. Her husband went to America, remarried and had more children. He is listed as a descendant of the Wallace's from Elderslie. Their eldest son was James Tulloch Wallace -m- Agnes Tweeddale born Agnes Morgan Hay. This was her second marriage 1st was to Maxwell she is on the peerage list. Her brother and sister married into the Baird family. These two were visiting Australia.
The Flemming and Tulloch families also went to Canada. This is probably enough for now. Have a lovey Xmas Nola Wallace

Posted on behalf of Nola who had replied directly to RootsChat :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Suspect that there's been quite a bit of a mix-up here regarding James Wallace marrying Agnes Tweeddale who was also Agnes Morgan Hay  :-\

There was an Agnes Morgan Hay (listed in Peerage site, etc.) who married (1865 India) General Edward Herbert Maxwell but 1926 probate record lists her as Agnes Moyan Hay or Maxwell died Edinburgh, Scotland (it's very common in Scotland for woman to continue using their maiden name after marriage).
Christening: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTY-H79
http://www.thepeerage.com/p45983.htm

According to what's already been posted, James Wallace married (1860 Glasgow) Catherine Tulloch and their eldest son was also called James (born 1860 Glasgow).

It certainly looks like some Australian, and then Scottish, certificates do need to be checked to untangle this.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 12:14 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was James Tulloch Wallace Married to Agnes Tweeddale sometimes spelt Tweadle (of Tweedale) family name Hay. Both born Glasgow. They had a business in or near Manchester.  Their children were William Hay, Eva an Kenneth James.
I think Eva married a french man and her son or sons died during the 2nd world war.
Kenneth married Mary Campbell Sinclair 19/7/1930 at Kersal Salford they had no issue. His address at the time was Prestwich and by then his father James was deceased.

Eva Kathleen Rebeccca Wallace married 30 July 1914 Prestwich to Harold Ernest Ray Thomas, engineer. Father James Tulloch Wallace, paint manufacturer

Agnes Tweeddale Wallace born c1862 Gorbals, Glasgow died 4 Jan.1921 in England. Certainly not the Agnes Morgan Hay Maxwell who died in 1926 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!