Author Topic: James Gordon  (Read 6508 times)

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Gordon
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors James Gordon was born on 8th Nov 1850 in Peterhead.  His Father was James Gordon bn 1830 and his mother Margaret Queen bn 1831.  In the 1861 census the family were living at 8 Ellis Street Peterhead when James was 10.

By the time of the 1871 census when James would have been 21 years old, the family had moved to Dundee.  The census shows that James was no longer with the family nor was his younger sister Margaret bn 1852.

I presume that James either:

a.  Stayed in Aberdeenshire when the family moved down to Dundee, or
b.  May have moved to Dundee but had now moved out of the family home.

A search of the 1871 census in Aberdeenshire reveals 11 possibles none in Peterhead.
A search for the 1871 census in Dundee reveals No possibles.

I have then looked at marriages in Aberdeenshire between 1867 and 1871.  This has thrown up 6 possibles again none in Peterhead.
Using the same search criteria in Dundee revealed one possible which was a marriage to Ann Crichton, but that turned out not to be my ancestor.

Other than throwing loads of credits at it on ScotlandsPeople is there anything I can do to narrow the focus and increase my chances of finding out where he went.

Another possibility is of course none of the above and that he went somewhere else.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Jim
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Gordon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I checked the 1881 census CD-ROMs. They list no James Gordons anywhere in Britain born in Peterhead within 5 years of 1850.

There is a death of a 19-year-old James Gordon in 1868 on the SP index, though it wasn't in either Angus or Aberdeenshire, and his age is at least a year out. Have you checked this to see if this was your one who died?

If not, then it looks as if he might have emigrated.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
"One of my ancestors James Gordon was born on 8th Nov 1850 in Peterhead.  His Father was James Gordon bn 1830 and his mother Margaret Queen bn 1831"

"Scotlands people" has a different date for James, baptised  14th January 1851, at Peterhead to the above parents.
Added :- His birth in IGI is noted as above, "8th Nov 1850 in Peterhead", and Christened as SP record.

Added II, from Ancestry (not sourced) :- Have you looked at the marriage of James Gordon to Jemima Keith Findlay, 28/11/1873 at Broughty Ferry. That James Gordon has an Aberdeenshire birth, and a death date of 1st Feb 1927, aged 77 at Dundee.

Regards

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 11 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the marriage of James Gordon to Jemima Keith Findlay, 28/11/1873 at Broughty Ferry.

The 1881 census gives his birthplace as Aberdeen, not Peterhead.

There's nothing inconsistent about the difference between the IGI and SP. If in doubt, SP is a primary source, IGI is merely an index.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I've viewed the marriage certificate in SP, unfortunately I don't think that it's my ancestor.  It has his father as James but mother as Ann Gordon nee Ward.   :(
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I checked the 1881 census CD-ROMs. They list no James Gordons anywhere in Britain born in Peterhead within 5 years of 1850.

There is a death of a 19-year-old James Gordon in 1868 on the SP index, though it wasn't in either Angus or Aberdeenshire, and his age is at least a year out. Have you checked this to see if this was your one who died?

Don't think that's him.  Father down as Donald.

If not, then it looks as if he might have emigrated.

How would I be able to check to see whether he did indeed emigrate.  His brother William, whom I'm directly descended from had two sister in law's who moved out to South Africa.

Thanks for looking anyway.  Appreciate you taking the time.

Jim
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 December 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
How would I be able to check to see whether he did indeed emigrate. 

Easy enough if he went to Canada or the USA, because there are surviving censuses and in some places death certificates which include the deceased person's parents. Not so easy if he went to Australia or New Zealand, because there are no available censuses and certificates are expensive, and I gather it's even more difficult if it's Africa, though I have no direct experience of trying to find people there.

Offline Kibble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
Have had a search request re the son Peter Ward Gordon born Monifieth / Broughty Ferry 31st July 1897 in Dundas St to James Gordon fisherman and Jemima Findlay.
Peter died in WW1 on 18 / 8 /1916 and was in the 2nd Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. you can find him on the CWGC website on the Thiepval memorial. His sister is recorded as Mrs Mary Ferguson, presumably next of kin.
The person searching believes he was a professional golfer and was looking for confirmation.
Perhaps we could share info?

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Have had a search request re the son Peter Ward Gordon born Monifieth / Broughty Ferry 31st July 1897 in Dundas St to James Gordon fisherman and Jemima Findlay.
Peter died in WW1 on 18 / 8 /1916 and was in the 2nd Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. you can find him on the CWGC website on the Thiepval memorial. His sister is recorded as Mrs Mary Ferguson, presumably next of kin.
The person searching believes he was a professional golfer and was looking for confirmation.
Perhaps we could share info?

I don't think that's the same James Gordon as my family were farm labourers not fishermen
Gordon, McCulloch