Author Topic: James Gordon  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Bagibird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Gordon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
I think I may have been the person who requested the information about Peter Ward Gordon. The Professional Golfers' Association are researching all golf professionals and their assistants who were killed in WW1, with the intention of having a memorial at their Headquarters. They have been sent info which seems to indicate that Peter Ward Gordon may have been a golf pro or, more likely an assistant. I know he served in 2nd Bn., Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (service number S/10217) and died on 18 August 1916; his effects were sent to his sister Mrs Ferguson. So far, I have been unable to find his occupation immediately prior to WW1. I would be really grateful if anyone could give me any help - obviously the PGA are anxious not to omit anyone from the memorial!
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Whizzjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that Peter Ward Gordon was an Assistant Golf Professional prior to enlisting in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Born in Broughty Ferry, Dundee on the 13th August 1897 by the time of the 1911 census he was showed as living with his sister Isabell and brother-in-law Melville Brown at 102, Shore Street, St Andrews. In 1911 Melville Brown took up the post of Golf Professional at Malone Golf Club, Belfast and took on Peter Ward Gordon as his assistant.At the tender age of just 19 and 5 days after his birthday he fell in action in the battle of the Somme. Peter Ward Gordon is commemorated at Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

Whizzjoy

Offline Bagibird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Whizzjoy. Do you have any documents you could share with me please, so that I can send some evidence to the PGA? Everything you have found tallies with what we thought but we haven't been able to find any proof. I would be very grateful for any details you could share. I'm afraid I don't have access to the 1911 census. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have access to the 1911 census.
You have exactly the same access as everyone else. The original 1911 census is available only on the Scotland's People web site.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
GORDON PETER WARD
453/ 8/ 16
St Andrews and St Leonards
Fife

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Bagibird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have access to the 1911 census.
You have exactly the same access as everyone else. The original 1911 census is available only on the Scotland's People web site.

Thank you Forfarian. I realise that I could take out a a subscription to Scotland's People. I had hoped that that would not be necessary to trace just one person who is not in any way related to me; I was merely trying to help ensure that he wasn't missed on the PGA memorial. That's why I thought maybe others might be prepared to help. However, if needs be, I would rather pay for the subscription myself than allow a soldier to be forgotten. Thank you again.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. I realise that I could take out a a subscription to Scotland's People. I had hoped that that would not be necessary to trace just one person who is not in any way related to me; I was merely trying to help ensure that he wasn't missed on the PGA memorial. That's why I thought maybe others might be prepared to help. However, if needs be, I would rather pay for the subscription myself than allow a soldier to be forgotten. Thank you again.
It's not a subscription site, unfortunately; it's pay-per-view. The only way to get that information without shelling out £1.50 worth of credits would be if someone is going to the SP centre and would be willing to transcribe it. I would happily do so, but I have no idea when I will next be able to get to the SPC.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Whizzjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
In reply to the post of Bagibird yesterday....... no I do not have any documents to prove Peter Ward Gordon was an assistant golf professional, as yet. I have a colleague in Ireland who is undertaking further research as I write this message.

Most of the evidence gathered so far is circumstantial. I know from the 1911 census as I mentioned that he was living with his sister and brother-in-law in St Andrews. When Melville Brown secured the post of Golf Professional at Malone, Belfast may I suggest it is fair to assume Peter Ward Gordon went with them. Jacksons Register of The British Professional Golfers 1887-1930 has an entry for Melville Brown stating that he was at Malone Golf Club 1911-1922. Should more substantial evidence emerge I'll be sure to post it.

Offline Bagibird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
In reply to the post of Bagibird yesterday....... no I do not have any documents to prove Peter Ward Gordon was an assistant golf professional, as yet. I have a colleague in Ireland who is undertaking further research as I write this message.

Most of the evidence gathered so far is circumstantial. I know from the 1911 census as I mentioned that he was living with his sister and brother-in-law in St Andrews. When Melville Brown secured the post of Golf Professional at Malone, Belfast may I suggest it is fair to assume Peter Ward Gordon went with them. Jacksons Register of The British Professional Golfers 1887-1930 has an entry for Melville Brown stating that he was at Malone Golf Club 1911-1922. Should more substantial evidence emerge I'll be sure to post it.

Thank you Whizzjoy. I'll keep watching and hoping! We had seen the entry in Alan Jackson's register for Melville Brown - not sure how much proof the PGA are seeking, but I'll certainly pass on your message. I don't think the 1911 census will take me any further, although I'm more than happy to pay to access Scottish People - (didn't realise it was pay per view; I thought it was subscription).