Author Topic: Elizabeth Findlay  (Read 7845 times)

Offline nmg1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Findlay
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 December 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy2

Alexander and Bathia were married in New Deer Scotland.  Elizabeth was also born there 18 Oct 1855.  I think they came to NZ after that but before 1861, but am having trouble finding that.
Most of my info is coming from things I have found on the net. Elizabeth married William Howie in 1877.  Elizabeth is my great great grandmother.  They lived in the Wanganui/Rangitiketi area.   I know quite abit about the Howie family.

Cheers
            Nik  :)

Offline nmg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 December 11 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

If Elizabeth was your great grandmother (if I have my greats right ) then she would have grown up Olive May Howie, she is my great grandmother.  I have been trying to find out about them for my grandmother she doesn't know much about Elizabeth ( her grandmother) for her.
Any other info you have would be great.

Cheers
         Nik  :)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 December 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Nik

Elizabeth was not actually my great grandmother. My great grandmother was Theresa NOLAN, and she was brought up in the household of William and Elizabeth HOWIE at Fern Flats, after her mother died in 1883.

As I said in my ealier post, another Rootschatter who has extensively researched the FINDLAY and HOWIE families has been given the heads up about your post, and should be able to help.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 December 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello nmg1. I am the rootschatter who is directly descended from Bathia Milne (or Bathy as my father called her.) Eyesee and I are ?cousins and live in the same area in NZ. He drew my attention to your request this morning via email.

I can dust the cobwebs off the Milne research and send you what you need to know - perhaps pm me as it might not be of interest to others at this stage on Rootschat.

Cheers - Faith

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi nmg1

Have now got your reply, can you personal message me with your email address please as it will be easier to scan the odd chart to send to you. Don't put the email address on Rootschat.

Faith

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 January 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
For any relatives interested I have just input the Headstone for Alexander & Bathia Findlay in the Upper Tutaenui Cemetery, Marton, into Find A Grave.  Also their daughter Bathia (Warring).  Possibly more to follow as I have not quite finished the cemetery.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GRid=141755781&CRid=2560676&

Kind regards

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 April 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
You are so correct on the intermarriages I have HOWIEs DICKIEs YOUNGs WOODBURNs DUNLOPs WYLIEs and MITCHELLs with marriages over 5 generations in Ayrshire SCT but then seems a lot of these families moved to same local in NZ and carried on marrying
Elizabeth was born 18 Oct 1855, at New Deer, daughter of Alexander FINDLAY and Bathia MILNE married 1848, and she had two brothers and four sisters.

Have informed another Rootschatter about this post, who is connected to the MILNE side, who should be able to help. They have researched these families quite extensively, both here in NZ and in Scotland

Quite a few families from that area of Scotland ended up in the Rangitikei area, HOWIE, FINDLAY, MILNE, BURR, AIKEN, McWILLIAM, MACKIE. These families had intermarried in Scotland, and did the same here in NZ.

My great grand mother was brought up by William and Elizabeth HOWIE at Belgrove, Fern Flats, and was married there in 1892. I have some photos of the HOWIEs as well. They moved from there to Hunterville.

Ian C
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline EmilyC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 June 22 05:49 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Elizabeth Findlay and William Howie. We’ve just come across a few photos of them from around the time of their wedding in 1877, and I am very interested to find out what else is out there. 

I am from their son, James Gordon Howie’s line.

Cheers,
Emily