Author Topic: December Microsoft Updates!  (Read 7101 times)

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: December Microsoft Updates!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 December 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Serious question but I'm probably being very dense here - Why does it wait to update until I want to shut down at bedtime? (As last night - I go to shut down and it says do not turn off your computer - installing updates 1-1million!) 
Is there a way to make it update quietly and unobtrusively in the background during the time when I'm actually using the computer?  I don't get a message saying there are any updates beforehand....
Sorry you probably are thinking 'what a numpty'  ::)  but it annoyed me last night as I don't like to leave the computer / internet on all night so I had to get up a bit later to switch it off. Am I missing the ******* obvious please?

Pat

It should shut down automatically once the updates have been installed. However you can select when to install updates by going to Control Panel, Windows Updates and select Settings and change to Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them. (Windows 7) You can install when you like

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 December 11 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Midase - thank you, I'll try that.

Oldtimer - Oh dear! For me, looks like it might be a case of "Be careful what you wish for" ...  ::)  ;D

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Serious question but I'm probably being very dense here - Why does it wait to update until I want to shut down at bedtime? (As last night - I go to shut down and it says do not turn off your computer - installing updates 1-1million!) 
Is there a way to make it update quietly and unobtrusively in the background during the time when I'm actually using the computer?  I don't get a message saying there are any updates beforehand....
Sorry you probably are thinking 'what a numpty'  ::)  but it annoyed me last night as I don't like to leave the computer / internet on all night so I had to get up a bit later to switch it off. Am I missing the ******* obvious please?

Pat

You can change the time that Windows updates.  On Windows 7, you have to go to Start >> Control Panel >> Windows Updates, and then choose Settings in the window that appears.  I think XP is similar, although from memory I think there is a direct link to Windows Update on XP. You can then choose a time when Windows updates, but you should choose a time when you know the computer is going to be on, otherwise you will miss them.  By having Windows install the update at switch-off, you can guarantee that you'll always get them.  As others have said, your computer should switch off automatically when the updates have finished.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 December 11 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft will soon be updating your browser - whether you want it or not  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912

Only if you are using an IE browser !  I recently decided to try out Google Chrome, and I'm very impressed.  Faster than IE, and because it's from Google, I don't have to install a Google Search bar which takes up more page space.  I like the onscreen keyboard, but I miss the drop-down favourites bar that IE had.  I'd previously resisted Chrome because it spied on your browsing habits, but you can now turn that off (and it's off by default).

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Nick - thank you for your advice. Not sure I like the idea of automatic update to IE, will have a look at Google Chrome.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 December 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft will soon be updating your browser - whether you want it or not  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912

The fourth paragraph of that report  says "Those who did not want their browser updated could opt out or uninstall the software, said Microsoft."

On that basis there should be some way to prevent updates if they're not wanted.

I'm an XP user and have it set to be notified of updates (the little shield already mentioned) rather than have them do it automatically, so that I can choose when to install. In practice it usually appears on Wednesdays when I first switch on, so I generally set them going then. It's the only time IE is used by me as the update screen opens that up. I will be watching what they do next year as I prefer to choose the time of update depending on what I'm doing.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 December 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Once a month Microsoft releases a whole batch of fixes for its software, on wwhat is known in the trade as Patch Tuesday.

Of course things burst into life during the day on the west coast of the USA, so people in the UK normally see these things on Wednesday.

The company I work for (a multinational IT services outfit) spends the hours following the MS release checking out whether or not they foul up any other software and queuing up distribution to tens of thousands of users' PCs. It takes the best part of a week to get them installed. If we pushed them to all the PCs in one go our networks would be flooded.

Occasionally there is what is called and "out of band" patch, deemed so urgent that it can not wait until the next Patch Tuesday.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 December 11 08:02 GMT (UK) »
"On that basis there should be some way to prevent updates if they're not wanted."

Problem is that the majority of hackers access Microsoft due to their size, and the knowlege that a sizeable number of users are NOT keeping up with the security updates. It's like leaving your back door open in an deprived inner city, and showing a flat widescreen tv etc etc in your front room. The thing with updates is, it's not that they are not wanted, it's that they are needed, as when an infected PC or laptop makes contact with another who's owner trusts the source, then like a disease, any problem will spread exponentially.

Regards

Malky

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 December 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Malky - I don't dispute that.

My position is that I want the updates, but want to choose the time of installation as it generally takes around 5-10 minutes (including a re-boot) and I prefer to be around to check it's all gone through & switch off after. I do check what the updates are (I use the "custom" rather than "express" setting) and generally take the lot - exception is where I don't use that bit of MS.