Author Topic: Maccabee family/Newbury  (Read 7943 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maccabee family/Newbury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I have started to look at the Maccabees on Newbury war memorial, with a view to writing a short story about each of them to go on my war memorials website.

So far I have two brothers: Thomas and Reginald the sons of Henry and Elizabeth. I have pictures of these two. Their brother Montague also served, he was wounded but survived.

Harry - a regular with the 2nd Royal Berks, in India in 1911. Probably Harry Haines Maccabee, the son of  Samuel and Elizabeth.

And a fourth - J Maccabee, who was probably Edwin James, son of Edwin and Minnie.

Harry, Reginald and Edwin James are commemorated by the CWGC - but Thomas is not.  It seems that he was wounded (1916/7ish) and later discharged from the army (Royal Berks Regt) on 18 Mar 1919.  He then seems to have died Q1 1920 in the Brighton area, aged 31. If he died as a result of his war service it should be possible to persuade the CWGC to add him to their roll.

I feel sure all four must be related - it's a rare name.  Has anyone got a tree with all four on it?

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Newbury Chap for the War Memorial link, I found at least three people from my family tree on there, all with stories and two with a photo - amazing. (Different families to the one being discussed on this thread).

Monique :)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monique,

I'm pleased you found some relatives on the site - and, quite frankly, amazed you found three stories of related folk - there are so few stories so far.

Please let me know their relationships and anything else you know about them.  The stories can always be improved.

Phil

(PM me if you prefer)
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

I have sent you a PM as I have probably hijacked this thread enough!

Monique
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline lizziebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 12 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Newburychap;Harry Haines Maccabee is of the line I'm following.Haines was his mother's maiden name.Does the war memorial say where in India he died?To be on the memorial I guess he must have died in military conflict?
Lizziebee

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 12 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Newburychap;Harry Haines Maccabee is of the line I'm following.Haines was his mother's maiden name.Does the war memorial say where in India he died?To be on the memorial I guess he must have died in military conflict?
Lizziebee
Everything that is on the memorials is on the website - as is a link to Harry's entry in the CWGC database.

He died on the Somme, not in India - he was in India in 1911 (census) with the 2nd Bat, Royal Berks Regt, they were brought back to England when war broke out and sent to France.

In general war memorials carry the names of those who died in service (not necessarily in conflict) or as a result of their service (died following their discharge of wounds received or illness contracted while in the force).  One lad on the Winterbourne memorial died of spinal meningitis within a month of being conscripted - never got further from home than Cosham.  Another I have researched contracted TB within days of arriving in Salonika, probably never got near any action, he was invalided home. discharged, and died within a few months. Another went through Gallipoli (wounded), France (wounded) and was eventually captured - contracted TB in a POW camp, invalided home, discharged, died within a few weeks.

These last two are not even commemorated on the CWGC database - but they are remembered on their village/town memorials.  I shall attempt to get the CWGC to add them to their database and to take over the care of their graves.

However, Harry did die on the battlefield almost certainly in an attack on Metz-en-Couture.

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got information on a Maccabee that may have moved to Ireland in the 1800s possibly to Bailieborough, Co. Cavan. I've drawn a blank and can only trace my Maccabee ancestor to 1833 born in Co. Cavan, name William Henry Maccabee married to Margaret Clarke in 1857.  His father was possibly James Maccabee. They had several children with similar names to the Maccabees in Berkshire such as Reginald, Frederick, Henry so maybe they originally hailed from Berkshire. My uncle and his son are the only Maccabees left in Ireland and it'd be great to find the gap in our history.  Thanks.