Author Topic: Gover Family Aberdeen  (Read 4566 times)

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gover Family Aberdeen
« on: Saturday 17 December 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in tracing the family of my husband's grandmother, Jessie Ann Gover, born in 1905 at the maternity home at 6 Castle Terrace, Aberdeen to Helen Gover (1882-1958) and an unknown father. Her grandparents were Frederick Augustus Gover (1857-1918) and Jessie Bremner (1860-1937). Her mother, Helen Gover went on to marry Alexander Chalmers Gordon in 1909 and William Robertson in 1919.

I would love to know more about Jessie's time in Aberdeen...in the 1911 census she is living at 75 Barklay Street, Fetteresso with Sister Evelyn Mary (Episcopal Church), a servant and seven other young children (all unrelated). I assume she went to school at this time but can find no other records of her.

She went to London (circa 1924) to work as a domestic servant and lived at 72 Grosvenor Square in London until she travelled to Australia in 1925 aboard the 'Diogenes'.

Jan.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gover Family Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »
You might want to have a look at this post re school records

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=aucksmd464u6hpqvproc91mqh4&topic=273710.30

(if you scroll down the posts someone has details of the school nearby and there is a link to Aberdeenshire council who also hold some records)

Norma

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 11 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Norma...I will take a look at that website.
Jan.

Offline Janet P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 February 15 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
I know it's been a long time since your request about the above but here goes. Did you know that Frederick Augustus Gover was born in Shirley Southampton England? His parents were Louisa Pitt, born Wilton (1817-1869) and Charles Gover (1819 - ?) After his mothers death in 1869 Fred lived with his half sister Louisa Parker (nee Pitt) in St Denys Southampton. He is not in my direct line so I have only a few bits and pieces about him. Hope this helps.   Janet.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
75 Barklay St, Fetteresso - this is 75 Barclay St, Stonehaven. Fetteresso is the parish, and anyone living there would probably have attended Stonehaven Public School, also known as Fetteresso school, at the Bath St end of Robert St, although there was also an Episcopal school in the High St.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Janet goodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 19 13:37 BST (UK) »
Jan, my father is Donald William gover,his father was William gover and Williams father was Frederick Gover whose wife was Jessie Bremner. William gover had brothers Joseph and Gordon. William Gover came to Australia.

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 19 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet...lovely to hear from you. Your William Gover is the uncle of Jessie Gover.

Offline Janet goodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 August 19 06:08 BST (UK) »
Helen gover ,Jessie's mother was my grandfathers sister then . Dad says he doesn't know about her and believes they would have cut her off if she had a child and been unmarried. William had brothers other than Joseph ( my great uncle who lived with us in Sydney when I was a little girl) and Gordon who went to America. There was a Benjamin too. I want to find out this before my dad passes as he is battling cancer. Your husband is my relative! I would greatly appreciate any information. My email is

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.