Author Topic: James BARKER in Baslow  (Read 13241 times)

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James BARKER in Baslow
« on: Tuesday 20 December 11 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information of my gg-grandfather  JAMES BARKER  born in about 1830 in Baslow. I have a birth cert of my g-grandfather with his parents as James and Maria Woolhouse in Feb 1855. Then stepping back through census returns I have
     1871 in Ecclesall Bierrlow, James birth is listed as Baslow.
     1861 in Sheffield, the return is for James C Barker born in Baslow. The initial C appears only in this census
     1851 cannot find a James But there is Caleb Barker born in Baslow about 1831. Is Caleb the name the the initial in 1861 refers to?
     1841 in Bakewell, Caleb Barker is living with his mother Sarah.
The twist to this is that I haven't found a marriage cert for James and Maria, but there is one for Caleb and Maria in Sheffield.
So can anyone tell me if the was a birth in about 1830 for a Caleb, a James, or a Caleb James Barker. Or are there two Barkers born in Baslow at that time. How do I find out from the parish records?

Don

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: James BARKER in Baslow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hullo and welcome to rootschat :)

Have you tried searching for the parish records of familysearch online?  It's free to search.I'd start there

[ Both Baslow and Bakewell are in a beautifu lpart of England ;D ]

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 07:28 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/

this is the url for the family search site.

cgarlotte

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »

I am searching for information of my gg-grandfather  JAMES BARKER  born in about 1830 in Baslow.

I have a birth cert of my g-grandfather with his parents
James and Maria Woolhouse in Feb 1855.

1851 cannot find a James But there is Caleb Barker born in Baslow about 1831. Is Caleb the name the the initial in 1861 refers to?

1841 in Bakewell, Caleb Barker is living with his mother Sarah.

The twist to this is that I haven't found a marriage cert for James and Maria, but there is one for Caleb and Maria in Sheffield.

I can’t see any Caleb Barker on later censuses

HO107; Piece 183; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Bakewell  ED: 5a; Folio: 3; Page: 4; Line: 10
Sarah Barker 45, Albert 25 Weaver, William 20 Weaver , Edward 25 Gardener, Septimus 14, CALEB 11, Frederic 8

family search
Caleb Barker ch 7/3/1830 Baslow Derby
Parents George Barker & Sarah

There are also these christenings Baslow
 parents named as George & Sarah
Albert 14/5/1809
Edward 24/4/1814
George 5/7/1820
Charles 22/6/1823
William 13/11/1826
Peter 7/7/1826
Septimus 28/5/1826

1851 HO107; Piece: 2340; Folio: 280; Page: 62 - sheffield
Caleb Barker Baslow 20 apprentice to Thomas Harrison knife forger & Grocer

The marriage you mention looks likely
 Jun qtr. 1854 Sheffield
Names  on same page
Maria Woolhouse
Caleb Barker

1861 RG9; Piece: 3493; Folio: 80; Page: 63
Jas C Barker born Baslow Derby occ Blade Striker
Son Fredk born 1855 sheffield

1871 RG10; Piece: 4672; Folio: 39; Page: 32
James Barker born Baslow occ. Table (Knife) Blade Forger

James Barker born Barlow occ Table Knife Striker

Everything seems to tie together birth place etc to Caleb being James/Jas C Barker
- to confirm think you would need to purchase marriage certificate of Maria Woolhouse this would give you Caleb's occupation & his father's name

Welcome to Rootchat :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Brother SEPTIMUS may have died in Australia;
Death Reg;
Septimus BARKER, 1915, Victoria, Age 89, Birth c 1826
Father GEO Barker
Mother Sarah DOWKES

1851 Census Sarah Barker is born c 1789, Sheffield, Yorkshire.
Albert/William/Frederic are still at home with her.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 12 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about delay in reply, lets blame Christmas.
I have received the marriage certificate of Caleb and Maria, dated 21 May 1854; his father is George [a gardener] and his occupation is Table blade forger, which marries in with the various census returns for "James C" and "James".
Can you tell me how best to access to parish register for Baslow so I can verify if the birth in 1830 had two christen names? (This enquiry is being posted from Australia)

Caleb dies in Melbourne Australia in 1891 and Maria dies 30th June 1923 in Victoria Australia

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »

marriage certificate of Caleb and Maria, dated 21 May 1854; his occupation is Table blade forger father George [a gardener]

Can you tell me how best to access to parish register for Baslow so I can verify if the birth in 1830 had two christen names?

(enquiry is being posted from Australia)

Caleb dies in Melbourne Australia in 1891 and Maria dies 30th June 1923 in Victoria Australia

Firstly check the Rootschat Derbyshire board under the heading of Derbyshire Resources & Offers

Derbyderek
was offering free lookups for a very large number of Derbyshire Parish Records, you could send him a message to see if he's still doing lookups

I can't see anything on IGI batch numbers Barlow for a baptism of James or Caleb Barker ???

Here’s a link for some extracts of Barlow Parish Records – but there’s only 7 baptism for surname Barker  - no James/Caleb Barker

if you click on ‘about this information’  takes you to another page there is an e-mail address towards the bottom of the page – perhaps they could help with your query

http://web.archive.org/web/20100808184546/http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Baslow/Records.html

Under ‘church records’ there is a CD containing transcriptions The Parish of St. Anne’s Church but this needs to be purchased

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Baslow/index.html

Not sure if this will help here’s a list of Baslow records on microfilm

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?p=England,England,Derbyshire,Baslow&f=1

Hopefully someone on here may have records for the Parish Baslow on CD  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou to those who provided helpful suggestions.  I'm still not sure how Caleb was sometimes 'james' or 'jas c' in the census returns.
I did trace Caleb to Australia, migrating into Mortens Bay [Brisbane] in 1883 and sometime later he and family are in Melbourne living near his brother Septimus at Hampton. Caleb died in Feb 1891 and his wife Maria died in June 1923

I wont persue this further

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 13:35 BST (UK) »
James Caleb Barker is my great uncle, brother of my grandmother Mary Stones nee Barker born 1864 died 1919. My mother was Gladys Mary Sanderson nee Stones, born 1/6/1905 died 18/7/1979. Just started this search but I have had a lot of help from someone at my local library.