Author Topic: James BARKER in Baslow  (Read 13239 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James BARKER in Baslow
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Don....I did check this out before I wrote to you..and there is no marriage for George Barker in Baslow to a Sarah............although if they were both born late 1780's there is no reason I suppose that they marrried before 1814, and were responsible for all births that I said previously were unlikely.......I then looked on IGI..and there is no George Barker marriage to a Sarah in the whole of Derbyshire that fits........according to IGI..which are not infallible.

However there is a marriage of George Barker to a Sarah Dowkes or Doakes in Sheffield that does fit.......I have yet to find that marriage..but it existes somewhere!!

I'll check out "Inmate Bubnell" for you..sounds like the Workhouse!

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Susifh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 February 18 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I’ve just come across your message thread re (James)Caleb Barker. I have recently started researching my family from my late mother’s notes and he was her great grandfather. I don’t know if this is a really old thread now, but if not I’d love to hear from you.
Best wishes,
Susie

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susie..nope I'm here..a fixture!! Fire away..how can i elp you?? Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I've just realised, for all you folks looking for the marriage of George and Sarah ...that they didn't marry n Derbyshire at all!! They actually married in Sheffield. ie the bride's own Parish..in 1806 and George took her back to his gaff in Bubnell (baslow) to have his wicked way with her..probably on horsebac.Hey Tonto!!..so the 1807  and 1816 Baptisms of hannah and Peter respectively are ok..thus a productivity span of 24 years...no wonder George died n 1840..and how Sarah managed to last till 1875...wow!!

Offline Susifh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don & Derek,
As a novice ancestry researcher, I've found your thread really interesting, both in confirming some details and shedding light on more complex areas. I've been trying to find info on Caleb's parents so would be grateful for any more details you might be able to give me. Thanks for all the info re Caleb Barker and his parents. He was the father of my great grandmother, Annie Maria Barker (always pronounced Mar eye uh by my mother). I struggled to "find" her in the records, but eventually succeeded as fortunately my mother had noted her exact dob & place of birth. She is registered on her birth certificate as Maria, presumably as it was the same name as her mother, she was distinguished in the family by the addition of Annie! On her birth certificate her mother is Maria, formerly Woolhouse, her father Caleb, of Cemetery Road, Ecclesall, a table blade forger. So she was the sister of Mary (Veronica's g grandmother, and Frederick (1855-1925) I think your great grandfather, Don? My mother would often tell stories about her family, some of which I actually listened to and remembered! Interestingly, she never mentioned how and where exactly her great grandfather Caleb died! A shocking and terribly sad end. I have found the listings of his, his wife and son's arrival in Brisbane, as bounty immigrants on the Kincardineshire in 1883 after 3 months at sea. He did send his son back to Sheffield to try to persuade Annie Maria to join them when her husband died but, at the last minute she was a unable to leave "all her graves behind". I think that the prospect of the 3 months journey by sea must have been terrifying, given the fate of her uncle's family on board the Wallace. I've just started looking at the other Barker relatives who emigrated to Australia in 1800s, using Ancestry.co.uk.
My mother said that the family set up a business making circular saws in Australia, presumably using their blade forging skills - do you have any info about that? Also someone on the thread said they had some old photos - was that you?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Susie
PS you've probably seen this, but I've just found this page online about the Barkers of Bubnell

http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Baslow/BarkersandWeavers.html