Author Topic: Cotton Handloom Weavers of Maybole  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Handloom Weavers of Maybole
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
In the early 1800s one of the main routes was Donaghadee to Portpatrick, but there were also regular sailings from Belfast to Glasgow and to Ardrossan.
Elwyn

Offline Craghead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 12 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  Was there a census for 1831 or 1821 and if so was it also done in Ireland??.

Being from Australia and having just established a connection with UK Im not all that up to speed with the research and records over there, afraid I have been very spoilt these last 30 years with the wonderful and very informative records in this country. And totally Free.  Now we do have to pay for Victorian records but I got all mine done before they decided to make some money out of it. NSW and Qld are still free, and the beauty is most time you get so much detail that you dont need a certificate.

Im sure that they have been paid for over and over many times.  Quess family research has become too popular!!!!!!
Welch - Craghead Dur
Davison - Nbl/Durham
Todd - 1784 Grindon Dur
Henderson - 1784 Trimdon Dur
Todd - 1715 Cundall Yorks
Hayton - 1743 Topcliffe Yorks
Hobson - Harperly Mill Durham
Moore - Tanfield/Stanley/South Moor Dur
Neal/Neale - Byker Nbl/South Moor and Stanley Dur
Bell Hexham Nthb
Edwards - Greenfield Clwyd
Mellan - Maybole Scotland/Ireland/Australia
Wells - Bury St Edmunds/Trichinopoly East Indies/Aust
Dewey - Donhead St Andrews Wilt
Dicketts - Donhead St Andrews Wilt

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 12 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Censuses were taken in 1821 and 1831 but sadly, together with the censuses from 1841 - 1891, they have all been destroyed (save for a few fragments).
Elwyn

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
A little more information about travel between Ireland and Scotland over the centuries.

According to an Ulster Scots Agency publication about the Reformed Presbyterian Church,  when there was a shortage of Presbyterian Ministers in Ireland in the 1600s, “as many as 500 members of Rev Livingston’s former congregation at Killinchy, Co Down would sail to Stranraer on a Sunday, worship with him there, and sail home again that evening.” And that was in the days of sailing ships. Clearly people went back and forth in large numbers, all the time.

A book has been written on the history of the boats and ferries that have operated on that route over the centuries:  IRISH PASSENGER STEAMSHIP SERVICES VOL 1 North of Ireland DB McNeil 1969.

According to this book, up until 1830 was the era of the individual shipowner. Competition was fierce and some went out of business within months. In the 1820s few passengers booked. Most turned up at Belfast docks and took the next departure.  Agents would tout for business and on at least one occasion an agent offered free food and free passage.

1830 saw Burns Line start to dominate the market. In 1882 they acquired the Ardrossan route and gradually took over most of the main services between Northern Ireland and the Clyde.
Elwyn

Offline Hamble

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
I found my husband's family on the 1814 Maybole census.   There are quite a few members of the Lavery family there - with numerous  different spellings, so it is a miracle I found them.  I subsequently found that they came from Dromore in Co Down, and it seems that their friends had joined them too. 
So you could do worse than to look at the Dromore registers!