Author Topic: Anderson family Anstruther  (Read 7299 times)

Offline debenham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson family Anstruther
« on: Wednesday 21 December 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Mary Henderson Anderson born 1867 Anstruther. Parents believed to be Thomas Anderson and Lillias Smith.

Marriage details to George Lothian (or Loudon) Gray born 1863 Renfrew required and any other family details, siblings etc.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson family Anstruther
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Marriage details to George Lothian (or Loudon) Gray born 1863 Renfrew required

Scotlands People is the only website with this information - it's a paysite (credits)

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

In 1871 - Mary Anderson aged 5 is living with her grandmother at High St Anstruther Wester

Margaret Smith 50 b Anstruther - Shipmaster's Wife & Spirit Dealer
Janet Smith 20 dtr b Anstruther
Mary Anderson 5 g/dtr b Anstruther
Anstruther Wester ED 1A Page 20 Line 6

1851 census - all b Anstruther except where shown otherwise

Thomas Smith 29 Inn Keeper b Cellardyke
Margaret   29
Cecilia   8 b Cellardyke
James  6
Lilias  4
Margaret  2
Janet  6 Months
Betty Adam 31 sister in law
Anstruther Wester ED 1 Page 13 Line 14
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 17:28 GMT (UK) »
1881 census for Glasgow

Thomas Anderson 35 b Anstruther - shedman
Lilias   34 b Anstruther
Mary H   14 b Anstruther
Thomas   8 b Glasgow
Alex  6 b Glasgow
Euphemia Johnson Anderson 2 b Govan
Isabella under 1mth b Glasgow
Glasgow St Peter ED 15 Page 10 Line 7
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 - Thomas appears to be a widower and is still living in Glasgow with children Alex aged 15 and Cecilia Bown Anderson aged 5 b Glasgow.  Plus Janet Hunter 23 b Govan shown as housekeeper

Glasgow St Peter ED 14 Page 10 Line 19

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi debenham

We love new members to come in with lots of questions to help them to progress their research  :)

Just an observation from this and your other recent posts (such as here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,572053.0.html). Some of the infomation that you need can only be obtained from viewing original images of BMDs on the pay to view site Scotlands People (which Carole has linked above).

You may be fortunate and find that someone else is researching the same family/couples and has already confirmed details by looking at images on SP, must in most cases for everyone, confirmation of information really only comes from looking at certficates on line on SP.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
It makes a welcome change to find a query relating to the East Neuk of Fife. I come from that area and have a lot of info. on local families. I can provide some details about the ancestry of those mentioned in the original query.

Thomas Anderson and Lilias Smith were married at Anstruther Wester in 1864. Thomas was the son of John Anderson and Mary Henderson, m.1844 Kilrenny. John Anderson is described in different records as a bottler, vintner and spirit merchant. He died in 1891, aged 67, and was the son of Thomas Anderson, vintner, and Euphame Johnstone. His wife Mary Henderson died in 1893, aged 71. She was the daughter of Alexander Henderson and Mary Sutherland. John Anderson and Mary Henderson both died in Anstruther Easter.

I've met somebody else who is descended from Thomas Anderson and Euphame Johnstone, somebody I helped with his family-tree a few years ago. Thomas came from Cellardyke, parish of Kilrenny, and was a son of Robert Anderson and Margaret Anderson. This couple have many descendants at the present day. Margaret was related to my own Andersons in Cellardyke.

Let's get back now to Lilias Smith, who married the other Thomas Anderson in 1864 - parents of Mary Henderson Anderson, b.1867. Lilias was one of the daughters of Thomas Smith and Margaret Adam who were married in 1842, the marriage being recorded in both Kilrenny and Anstruther Wester parishes. Thomas was a shipmaster in the merchant service, although he seems to have become a vintner later, i.e. a publican. Not many dry throats in this extended family!

Out of sheer nosiness, I shall attempt to trace Thomas Smith and Margaret Adam a bit further back. I have a feeling that I know which families they came from.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Right, further to my last line above, I can tell you that Thomas Smith was born in Cellardyke in 1822 to James Smith and Lilias Wood, and Margaret Adam was born in 1819 in Anstruther Wester to Andrew Adam and Cecil Brown.

James Smith and Lilias Wood were the ancestors of many "Dykers" (natives of Cellardyke), including the late Peter Smith, author of several books of East Neuk history and one-time maths teacher at my old school in Anstruther.

Harry

Online hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 15 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious about Euphame Johnstone.  I wonder whether she is related to Andrew Johnston/e and Euphame Clephane who are buried in the graveyard in Kilrenny?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious about Euphame Johnstone.  I wonder whether she is related to Andrew Johnston/e and Euphame Clephane who are buried in the graveyard in Kilrenny?

No, the Johnstones of Pitkierie and Rennyhill buried at Kilrenny were local landowners. Thomas Anderson's wife Euphame Johnstone was 52 in the 1851 census of Kilrenny(Cellardyke), and born in Kingsbarns, so she looks like the "Euphimia Johnston" born at Kingsbarns in 1798 to John Johnston and Katherine Thomson.

I had Johnston(e) ancestors in Kingsbarns myself.

Harry