Author Topic: Isabella ROY wife of John LICKRISH  (Read 4090 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella ROY wife of John LICKRISH
« on: Thursday 22 December 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
John LICKRISH b 1819 Stirling had 2 wives, the first one being Isabella ROY. They married in 1842.

I struggled to accurately locate the parents of Isabella but deduced that they were Peter ROY and Fanny GENTLE. Isabella’s death certificate confirms these names and the transcript is below:
Death: 18 May 1870. Isabella LICKRISH ms ROY died 18 May 1870 in Stirling aged 46. Her parents named as Robert ROY and Francis ROY ms GENTLE, both deceased. Death was registered by her husband, John LICKRISH.

John LICKRISH and Isabella ROY had at least 5 children and I wondered where the middle names of two of the children came from - especially Robert Henderson LICKRISH b1857 and Francis McLeod LICKRISH b 1855.

Then I came across a website (by Lynn Paterson whom I have been unable to contact) and there the parents for Isabella are named as John ROY and Isabella HENDERSON. This makes sense of the middle name of Robert but it does not tally with the death certificate of Isabella, wife of John LICKRISH!

I have tracked my Isabella, wife of John,  through the censuses and this is what I have as follows:
1841 Census. Not with her mother so must have left home by then.
1851 Census. Maxwell Place, Stirling. Ann (should read John) head 29, Isabella 28 wife and John ROY 22 brother-in-law b 1829 Dunblane gardner. ED8/44
1861 Census. Viewfield Street, Stirling. John 41, Isabella 38, John R 9, Frances 6, Robert H 4. Also Eliza DANDRON 50. Margaret HODGE 21 and Henrietta Hodge 4 months, all b Ireland except Henrietta b Stirling. ED12/2

I also found an Isabella ROY with a mother, Isabella ROY and a gson James in the 1851 (ED4/17) and 1861 (ED1/26) in Alloa, Clackmannashire. This Isabella probably tallies with the one who is daughter of John ROY and Isabella HENDERSON; whereas the Isabella who married John LICKRISH is with him in 1861 and 3 of their children. (see above). There are also other folk there with different surnames; have no way of knowing if they are family connected or just straightforward lodgers.

So....wondering if anyone  can throw any light on this problem. That would be really helpful.

Kind regards
Suzie (from Orkney)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella ROY wife of John LICKRISH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzie

Don't be put off your research findings, which by the sounds of it you have been able to verify through Isabella's death cert. You can sometimes come across different info on other people's online trees, you just have to be certain of what line you have followed and why.

Isabella's 1870 death entry showed parents as Robert Roy and Frances Gentle. There is also an Old Parish Register birth entry for her (mother down as Fanny), on 3 October 1825 in Dunblane, Perth. There may have been an earlier daughter to Robert and Fanny with the same name, who was born in 1821 (a member submitted entry on IGI so hard to say unless confirmed elsewhere).

The OPR entries can also be viewed on SP, although likely not much info on these given they are pre 1855 parish register entries.

Monica  :)

Added: As additional support to what you have found, Fanny Lickrish, daughter of John and Isabella, looks to have married a David Johnston (from online A/try trees). Two of the Johnston children were called Fanny Johnston and Robert Roy Johnston, supporting these names as maternal grandparents with the other info you have.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

Thank you for your very supportive email. I am always very wary of what I see on trees anywhere online and always make sure I check and verify what I have and what they have said too.

I use the Hugh Wallis batch numbers to check old PRs. I think the 1821 entry you mention actually had the parents Peter ROY and Fanny, not Robert. But it was the only child of that couple. And in the end I opted for the October one in Dunblane and the death cert confirmed these parents.

I suppose it was just those middle names of 2 of the children - especially the HENDERSON one - that started my antennas twitching! Cannot find a link to McLeod either but to be fair, haven't really tried much on that score.

Yes, I too have seen that Fanny married David Johnson and that too helps back-up my findings.

So I still think I am happy with what I have and may just have to park the middle names to one side.

Thanks again for all your help.
Suzie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
There will sometimes be middle name used that don't initially make sense. Hopefully, you will get there!

You certainly do seem to have the right family (I think!) for Isabella. You also have already her brother John living with her and new husband in 1851. This John shows with mother Fanny in 1841 as you have seen.

This was the member submitted entry I saw on IGI which made me think there might have been a first born Isabella who died and name was reused with the later birth of your Isabella:

Isobel Roy    b. 29 Oct. 1821/ Chr. 11 Nov. 1821 in Dunblane, Perth
Parents: Robert Roy and Fanny Gentles

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From Dunblane MI's

John ROY fr Park of Kier d 13.2.1831 78, sRobt 16.11.1840 62

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Bruce.

Thank you for that MI information. Another little piece to add to the jigsaw.

Monica.

Thank you for your reply. I've maybe got muddled with my batch numbers and entries.
Thanks.

Suzie

Offline CountrylassJJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzie
I wondered if you ever got to the bottom of your query? Frances Mcleod Lickrish was my Great Great Gran so I also wonder if you ever discovered where the Mcleod came from?
Many thanks,
Justine

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Justine,

I did the LICKRISH research for a friend some 4 or 5 years ago, and to be honest I really cannot remember what the outcome was of the Roy/Lickrish connection. Since then, unfortunately, my computer had a big hissy fit 2 years ago and I lost a lot of data including that particular LICKRISH info. However, I had passed it all on when completed to my friend and she now has that file and all the details. Therefore, I suggest you contact her direct: her name is Liz Parker and her email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ironmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Countrylass, Frances Mcleod Lickrish was my Great Grandmother, who are your descendents from as we know as her as Fanny Lickrish