Author Topic: SHIEL John, birth, April 2, 1898, Hawick, Rox.  (Read 6358 times)

Offline DianeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jeannie McCulloch Walker 1882-1927
    • View Profile
SHIEL John, birth, April 2, 1898, Hawick, Rox.
« on: Wednesday 11 May 05 01:09 BST (UK) »
Unwanted birth certificate:

John Shiel, born April 2, 1898, Hawick, Rox.

Mother: Mary Shiel

DianeM
Slorance - one name study worldwide
Frankham - Gloucestershire
Matheson - N. Uist, Invernesshire
Matthew - Dundee, Scotland
Shiel - Hawick, Scotland
Walker - Glasgow, Scotland
Condon - Ireland, Blackburn, Birmingham, Lancaster
Day - London
Hart - Devises, Wiltshire > London
Warren - Warminster Wiltshhire >Frome, Somerset > London
Peagam -
White - London

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: John SHIEL, birth, April 2, 1898, Hawick, Rox.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 06 01:07 BST (UK) »
HI
I know this is an old post but does the birth cert for John give any more details.
Shiel is my grandmothers line and they were all from around Melrose, Darwick, Hawick etc plus John was a name that went through the lines!
Many thanks

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline DianeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jeannie McCulloch Walker 1882-1927
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 06 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I can decifer, John Shiel was Illegitimate.  No father is named.  The address is 14 Kirk Wynd, Hawick.

My Shiel family (from Hawick) apparently ran a pub.  The son had an affair with my Great Grandmother, had two children with her, then married a barmaid from the pub! I haven't been able to follow anyone of that family forward. 

The barmaid was Janet Robson, and in the 1891 Census they were living at 8 Morrison Place and had two young children, Thomas and William.

Anyway, we all have brick walls, this just may be mine!

All the best
Diane
Slorance - one name study worldwide
Frankham - Gloucestershire
Matheson - N. Uist, Invernesshire
Matthew - Dundee, Scotland
Shiel - Hawick, Scotland
Walker - Glasgow, Scotland
Condon - Ireland, Blackburn, Birmingham, Lancaster
Day - London
Hart - Devises, Wiltshire > London
Warren - Warminster Wiltshhire >Frome, Somerset > London
Peagam -
White - London

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane
Thanks for that.

I have a Mary Shiel in my tree but she was born C1858 but that would make her 40 if she was your Johns mother.
There maybe other Marys I have not come across just yet.

I file your info for future when I smash down a few more of the brickwall too. There is no one else I know researching my Shiels and my grandmother who was Violet Shiel died many years ago

KRs
Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline ancestorsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Just read your posts and found them very interesting because I think my 6th great grandmother was Jean Shiels born in 1702 in Cavers, Roxburghshire.  I think her father was called William and she married John Crow of Laurencekirk, Kincardine.  Do these names mean anything to you?  I've hit a bit of a brick wall at that end.

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
hi, i am, guessing that the shiel and shiels families are connected. i havean isabella shiels born abt 1809 in melrose roxburghshire. she married my ancestor John swan in 1831 in earlston berwickshire. she died in 1889 in edinburgh. her parents are James shiels, a hotel keeper and catherine scott
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I have wondered about the 'Shiel' and 'Shiels' names whether they are connected.

Mine are definitely Shiel. My Shiel family have Isabella's, Mary's, Harriet's, John's and Robert's. Along with surnames of Smith, Dagliesh, Williamson and Borthwick living in Yarrow, Darwick and Galashiels, Melrose.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 August 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
Just read your posts and found them very interesting because I think my 6th great grandmother was Jean Shiels born in 1702 in Cavers, Roxburghshire.  I think her father was called William and she married John Crow of Laurencekirk, Kincardine.  Do these names mean anything to you?  I've hit a bit of a brick wall at that end.

Hi AncestorSearch,

Regarding the Jean Shiel and John Crow marriage - This John Crow/Craw came from Branxholme Town about 3.5 miles south west of Hawick. The OPR baptism record for the baptism of their son William in 1725 also confirms the Branxholmtown connection. John and Jean/Joan were in trouble with the church for an irregular marriage in Carham inn 1724 just on the English side of the border, by a Church of England minister. Have you found any further information on this matter since your last post?

Thanks

Jean Shiel seems to be as you say, the daughter of William Shiel and she was born in Cavers it appears, though other reports suggest this Jean Shiel could have been from Kelso.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SHIEL John, birth, April 2, 1898, Hawick, Rox.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane, I have Janet Robson in my Robson family tree, she married John Shiel 15th Nov 1887 at 9 Kirkstyle Hawick, John Shiel was the son of Thomas Shiel and Janet Laurie(Lowrie)
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.