Author Topic: St Josephs Home, Walton on the Hill  (Read 7569 times)

Offline tauruslizzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Josephs Home, Walton on the Hill
« on: Monday 26 December 11 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.This is my first visit to this site, so hope I'm following the right procedure! My relative Patrick Hynes was a resident of St Josephs Home, 4 Belmont Rd, Walton on the Hill, Lancashire in the 1901 census.  I no longer live in the UK and can't find anything on the web that tells me what this institution was - maybe a workhouse, lodging house or prison. Would anyone have any information about that? If so, your response would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: St Josephs Home, Walton on the Hill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »
hi,,when and where was he born?  maybe i can found out by looking at the original census images. ;)
edit    its ok,,i have the info now,,,he was b Ireland c1837
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:32 GMT (UK) »
the residents are described as "inmates" and are looked after by "sisters". I would think it was some kind of hospital/poorhouse  run by the Catholic church of St Josephs,and the care of the poor/sick/elderly was administered by the nuns.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From memory it was a home for the elderly and run by the Little Sisters of the Poor

Andy

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Home for the Aged Poor, Belmont Road and Aigburth Road. The Little Sisters of the Poor provide homes for destitute and respectable old Men and Women. These Homes are entirely dependent on Charity. Subscriptions and Donations will be thankfully received by the Little Sisters.
Gore's Directory of Liverpool & Birkenhead, 1900. [Part 3: Trade & Official Directories] http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/
Sixty was the youngest age at which men and women were admitted
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
St. Joseph's House was next to the Belmont Road Workhouse (later the Belmont Road Hospital). If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=337070,392170 you can see a map of the home on the 1893 (and other) map.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline naylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
hello
I worked at St Josephs home in Belmont Rd  for 2 years before it closed ,it was  a home for the old and some not so old ,they were  very well cared for ,it was part  of a convent run by The Little Sisters of The Poor ,  unfortunatly it was closed because it didnt come up to fire regulations ,the residents were  moved to other homes belonging to the sisters around the country also in Scotland  ,it has since been knocked down and a housing estate built on the site , it was a nice place to work in .sad that  it closed
Doedoe :'(

Offline tauruslizzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you everyone for your replies. They were very helpful and very much appreciated! It is good to know my great great uncle was looked after in his last years. He came from a very big family, but I guess the family were unable to care for him. Kind regards and thanks again.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
hello
I worked at St Josephs home in Belmont Rd  for 2 years before it closed ,it was  a home for the old and some not so old ,they were  very well cared for ,it was part  of a convent run by The Little Sisters of The Poor ,  unfortunatly it was closed because it didnt come up to fire regulations ,the residents were  moved to other homes belonging to the sisters around the country also in Scotland  ,it has since been knocked down and a housing estate built on the site , it was a nice place to work in .sad that  it closed
Doedoe :'(

Hi Doedoe

My Great Grandfather died at St. Joseph's Home in 1955 when was the home closed? My Great Grandfather was 75 years old he had a home address on his death certificate so he may have gone there just before he died.

C