Author Topic: St Josephs Home, Walton on the Hill  (Read 7570 times)

Offline naylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Josephs Home, Walton on the Hill
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
hello
think it was  1990.s .know I was there for cup final   Everton v Liverpool  after the hilsborough tragedy. as the old folk all had  hats made for them in red or blue . and my friend  wore a red one and I had my blue one  ,happy days
Doedoe

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Doedoe. Do you know if there's any photos of it anywhere? I used to pass it every day going to work but just can't picture it.

C

Offline naylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
sorry dont know of any photos  but it was a big  building with a door and a window  on Belmont Rd and had 2  large heavy  brown  iron gates at the side were the path leading to  the ambulance depot is   ,it didnt look a very  big building from the outside  but it spread back as far as the Bessie Braddock social club  tat I think belonged to Newsham Hospital (Belmont Rd Hospital) as it was also known as,  it was also opposite the wookey hollow club .think it is a  kitchen centre now
hope this jogs the memory
D

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 December 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Doedoe.

C

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 December 11 21:35 GMT (UK) »
 ,it didnt look a very  big building from the outside  but it spread back as far as the Bessie Braddock social club  tat I think belonged to Newsham Hospital (Belmont Rd Hospital) as it was also known as,
D

If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=337070,392170 there is a 1:500 Town Plan which shows St. Joseph's House.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 December 11 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks stanmapstone both 1891 and 1893 are nice maps including the name St Joseph's House. The best one for me is the Cheshire 1951-54 one it's got great detail, includes the name and is the right time period.

Cheers,

C

Offline Sharon Ryan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
I was a trainee of 16 yrs old and worked at at Joseph's in 1984-5 my experience of this place was cruel heartless and abuse of the vulnerable by the nuns, not all the nuns were cruel but i remember one in particular who treated these women like less than human i used to go home and cry i always took time to talk to the residents to show them care and kindness to which i was always reprimanded by a sister Joan who had no kindness at all working there had a profound effect on my life even to this day, i worked on the top floor and it was torture no one should be treated the way sister Joan treated people

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk