Author Topic: Kilmacanogue Cemetery  (Read 26016 times)

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmacanogue Cemetery
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 May 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Byrne is a real Wicklow name so good luck with that:) I know it's nice to name your children after your grandparents etc but not easy on your future generations!! I have similar problem with Dwyers in Tipp, all named Mary or Michael or John...impossible to track them down without a detailed family history:)        Thanks for looking anyway!! Offer still stands to help in old graveyard! I find that kind of stuff fascinating.
Donnelly,Dublin. Curtis,Dublin. Doyle,Wicklow. Purcell, Offaly. Dwyer,Tipperary. Nolan,Wicklow. McGowan, portlaoise. Buggle, Wicklow/Dublin. Little,Dublin. Carroll, Wicklow. Mulligan,Wicklow.

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 May 12 21:35 BST (UK) »
JAD
I have just been reading tonight's chat about Kilmacanogue.   I hope to get to do some more work on the old Kilmacanogue cemetery during the months ahead - just waiting for some decent weather.   We need sunshine early in the day in order to get decent photos.  The photos/inscriptions I have recorded to date are on IGP Archives

If you want to send me some details re how to contact you etc. I will keep a note of it.     

Do you know when the cemetery is open, or how to get the key?

Joyce

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 May 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce,   Key is kept in parish office but graveyard does be open some Sunday's and for blessing of the graves in August. The first church on the site dates to the 6th century so it's well established!! Kilmacanogue used to be bigger than Bray but when the famine arrived people moved to Bray because there was a better supply of food. It's the oldest church in the area as far as I know, next to glendalough of course!!
Donnelly,Dublin. Curtis,Dublin. Doyle,Wicklow. Purcell, Offaly. Dwyer,Tipperary. Nolan,Wicklow. McGowan, portlaoise. Buggle, Wicklow/Dublin. Little,Dublin. Carroll, Wicklow. Mulligan,Wicklow.

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 May 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
The day I happened to find it open was shortly before a blessing was to take place.   I have been meaning to return ever since.   Hopefully in the not too distant further.
Thanks for the information re the key.
Joyce

Offline Banners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 May 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a grave for ancestors from Bray - possibly Kilmacanogue old graveyard - buried late 1800's.

James Mc Dermott
Anna Mc Dermott (nee Carroll)

Can anyone help?

Ann Mara

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Any relation to Eugene Carroll? Originally from bray but lived with his daughter on carrigoona commons

Offline Banners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
I've no idea - I am researching her daughter, my great, great, Grandmother.  All I know is that she married James McDermott.  I cannot find any other information about either of them, except for the fact that they lived in Bray and had their children there - Jane and Susan (I don't know about any other children).  I am currently looking for her grave, and that of james McDermott to see if I can find out any other information.

Can you tell me more about Eugene?  Did he have a daughter named Anna?

Thanks,

Ann.

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 May 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
In Brian Cantwell's Memorials of the Dead there is mention of an Anne McDermott of Bray who erected a headstone in memory of her mother Elenor Collins, died 1857, and her husband (name not on headstone) died 1882 aged 87.  No other mention of McDermotts at Kilmacanogue Old Cem. but of course that doesn't mean that others aren't buried there

Offline Banners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 May 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for looking into that for me - it is much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time.

Ann.