Author Topic: Shetlanders with "dark hair and swarthy skin"?!  (Read 38558 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shetlanders with "dark hair and swarthy skin"?!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 10 August 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Niall of the Nine Hostages, we're talking about the dark ages here so no newspaper reports!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_of_the-Nine_Hostages

I think a shared experience, history & culture has given the US, a new nation, an ethnicity of it's own? Ethnicity & race are not the same thing.

The 1707 Union was voted through the Scots Parliament by the nobility while the people rioted against it, the unpopularity of the Union & the Hanoverian Succession which came with it, gave rise to the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715, 1719 & 1745. There was also a military threat at the time of the signing i,e John Churchill & his army being used to restore "Order!"

Skoosh.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 10 August 17 16:53 BST (UK) »

I think Adam is correct. He had Kerry roots  :)

Not according to this?
https://www.geni.com/people/Gregory-Peck/308562816060006485

And the surname Peck, as with the tree above, seems to have it's origins in East Anglia.
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Thanks Sally. That site does show his mother was Irish - I recall reading it last year when I was researching the Easter Rising -it was  the Ashe family.
However his father was English.
I just checked it out again and there are a couple of articles about him and the 'black Irish'.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 10 August 17 18:41 BST (UK) »

I think Adam is correct. He had Kerry roots  :)

Not according to this?
https://www.geni.com/people/Gregory-Peck/308562816060006485

And the surname Peck, as with the tree above, seems to have it's origins in East Anglia.
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Thanks Sally. That site does show his mother was Irish - I recall reading it last year when I was researching the Easter Rising -it was  the Ashe family.
However his father was English.
I just checked it out again and there are a couple of articles about him and the 'black Irish'.

Hi heywood, not sure if I'm reading it right but his mother is listed as Bernice Mae Ayres, born in Missouri.
Her father John D Ayres born in Missouri
Her mother Kate E Ayres (nee?) born in Pennsylvania
(places of birth from census)

But wiki says
'Eldred Gregory Peck was born on April 5, 1916, in La Jolla, San Diego, California, the son of Gregory Pearl Peck, a New York-born chemist and pharmacist, and his Missouri-born wife Bernice Mary "Bunny" (née Ayres).[2] His father was of English (paternal) and Irish (maternal) heritage[3][4] and his mother of English and Scots ancestry.[5]'

It's all a bit confusing

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 10 August 17 18:50 BST (UK) »

The 1707 Union was voted through the Scots Parliament by the nobility while the people rioted against it, the unpopularity of the Union & the Hanoverian Succession which came with it, gave rise to the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715, 1719 & 1745. There was also a military threat at the time of the signing i,e John Churchill & his army being used to restore "Order!"

Skoosh.

It was all controlled by the 'nobility' back then and there were riots in England about unpopular parliamentary decisions too, a civil war even. But it still doesn't change the fact that the Acts of Union 1707 was a legal union agreed between two countries. It wasn't 'enforced' on Scotland, the Scottish parliament wanted it

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Oh no--Miriam was Moses` sister and because he WAS a Hebrew and male,and   Pharaoh had told all the Egyptian Midwives to kill all male Hebrew babies because the Hebrews were multiplying faster than the Egyptians,he would have been killed at birth so his birth was kept a secret.
But the Hebrew women did not have midwives and so when Moses mother had him she hid him for three months `but then he was too lively and so she made a watertight cradle and hid it by the river under the bulrushes.Miriam his sister was supposed to look after him but naturally was afraid of the Egyptians.
When Pharoahs` daughter went to bathe she saw the cradle and took the baby.
Miriam had the presence of mind to offer to look after the baby, she did not tell Pharaoh`s daughter she was his brother
.He would have been killed  ordinarily but Pharaoh`s daughter wanted him and adopted him even though she realised he was a Hebrew.He was brought up as an Egyptian and his real mother was hired to feed him .
 But he  did lead  The Hebrews out of captivity because  they were used as slaves and cruelly treated.

I loved that story in Sunday school, so much so that my little doll was Moses and the big one was Miriam . Moses slept in my aunties` needlework basket, a bit like the cradle in the bulrushes.
Viktoria.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
I don't think mythological figures offer much useful evidence.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
The story of Moses is I`m sure mentioned in Egyptian records.
Seem to remember a T.V programme about it.Ages ago.Pharaoh was Rameses if I remember correctly. He was real.Not mythological at all- big statues to prove it   ;D

Viktoria.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 10 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

Apologies! It was his granny!
She was Catherine Ashe - his father's mother from County Kerry.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 10 August 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Parliament voted for the Union as the "Parcel of Rogues" (Robert Burns) accepted English gold, they had probably no alternative as the English navigation Acts prohibited Scotch shipping, acts against the importation of Scotch Linen & also a ban on Scotch cattle which would have destroyed the Highland economy. Britannia, as ever, waived the rules.

Skoosh.