Author Topic: Shetlanders with "dark hair and swarthy skin"?!  (Read 38553 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Shetlanders with "dark hair and swarthy skin"?!
« Reply #63 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
The reason it's known as "The Black Isle" surely.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 14 August 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
The reason it's known as "The Black Isle" surely.

I think it's because during winter time snow doesn't lay on the peninsular (it isn't exactly an island) and it looks black against the snow which lays on the mainland behind it.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Rena, my own folk were from Fearn & Urray, so Gaelic speakers, the Black Isle was predominantly Scots spoken so different folk, the Paterson's were from the Black Isle & probably wouldn't thank you for a reminder of their seal ancestry!  ;D

Off to the Heilans masel at the top o the day, as they say in the north, forecast lousy but the Summer's been the same anyhow.

Slainte'

Skoosh.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
Dont get lost Skoosh
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 19 August 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
"I once was lost but now am found!"  ;D

Back home unskaithed, weather as expected but meteor showers one night!

Skoosh.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
Rena, my own folk were from Fearn & Urray, so Gaelic speakers, the Black Isle was predominantly Scots spoken so different folk, the Paterson's were from the Black Isle & probably wouldn't thank you for a reminder of their seal ancestry!  ;D

Off to the Heilans masel at the top o the day, as they say in the north, forecast lousy but the Summer's been the same anyhow.

Slainte'

Skoosh.

I came back yesterday from a fortnight in the Heilans and yes, it rained every day. Not all day, but every day.  Midgies were something fierce too.  We had some cracking days on the Assynt hills though, Ben Hope, Ben Klibrick and another half dozen around the Ullapool area.

Hope your weather turns out better than ours.

Edit.  Oops - I see you're already back too.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 19 August 17 15:03 BST (UK) »

Slainte'

Skoosh.

lol @ the "seal" remark.

I don't know what Donald M'Kenzie born in Urray looked like and I have no idea where hisparents were from, but I have an idea of the features of one of his sons Ken M'kenzie were when he was middle aged.   A drawing is attached below and for familial comparison I've also attached a photo of his sister Jane's blue eyed son aged sixty ( my Glaswegian grandfather).  Somewhere along the line, the swarthy highlander looks have vanished.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 20 August 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

There's an uncanny likeness there in the features!!!

I have been reading this thread & only last night was discussing different place names on the Scottish Islands relating to the Vikings etc.

However, one of the links I was sent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas

It's an interesting read which I haven't read all of but within that link there's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas#The_three_corners_of_Britain:_Kantion.2C_Belerion_and_Orkas

& this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Shetland

I have the intention of enjoying reading this over the next few weeks as there's a lot to take in with no bookmarker  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 20 August 17 05:43 BST (UK) »
Good Pic and great drawing.
As previously mentioned can see the family likeness - easily.

Dark and brooody - TV show Shetland was broadcast on ABC in Australia last night.
It fits well with the current conversation.

Keep up the good work.

cheers
jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.