Author Topic: Elvis an Old Stirling worthy (pic)  (Read 26103 times)

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elvis an Old Stirling worthy (pic)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 April 12 20:46 BST (UK) »
Recall seeing Elvis on many occasions. Also heard that he once collapsed and was taken to SRI and was cleaned up and shaved and that he was quite handsome underneath! Only very vague recollections of Soapy Moray. Think he might have been WW1 veteran and believe kids might have chanted 'Land of Soapy Moray' after him to tease him.
No pics of exteriors of bars you mentioned, but picture of burns supper in Argyll bar featured in Burns and Stirling leaflet in 2009 (my father-in-law was in picture!)

Offline polmont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Here's a picture of The Original Bar from a glass slide taken about 1930 by an American tourist.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 June 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
Polmont,
what an extraordinary find! The old Original Bar. It shows a wealth of information, the close next to it is still there, leading to the spiritualist church. When this photograph was taken, there used to be a billiard hall above the bar. The entrance was up the close.
Next to that is the tiled entrance, also still there, to what was at that time an annex to the Golden Lion Hotel, later staff quarters.
This really is a great picture. Do have any details where you got it from?

many thanks.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline polmont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 June 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Photo of The Original Bar is an original glass slide taken by an American tourist on a motor coach tour in southern Scotland circa 1930.  I have no other info except that they were from the Philadelphia area and took several other short tours in Britain and northern France on the same Transatlantic trip.  No other Scottish pub photos in the group.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Posted this photo in response to a PM by Keith.

As can be seen from a previous photo on this thread, the entire corner building has been replaced by a more modern one.

Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
one of my older cousins was a nurse and used to tell us about having to de-louse elvis,and there was no reason for him to ask people for money,according to my cousin,because he was wearing it!!!
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline Helen Taylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
Soapy Moray roamed Stirling during the day and slept in the market where Tescos is now. It was a sack he carried over his shoulder, which clinked with empty bottles. Soapy was a foul mouthed always angry alcoholic. Soapy had a walking stick and thought nothing of hurtling it at you for no reason. I remember him well as i used to have to pass him at times when i attended Stirling High, now, The Highland Hotel.

Offline Sandy McLean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Came across this on the Old Stirling facebook site

Offline Zetland1000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 June 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
'Elvis' was actually called John Bell.  I was a Police Constable in Stirling and was given the task of taking him to a special unit adjacent to Bellsdyke hospital for treatment.  On our return my colleague and I, and our van, had to be fumigated.
I think the other person mentioned was 'Dot' Scott rather than 'Doc' - he lived at the top of the town