Author Topic: Old/new town - Kilsyth  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Talia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old/new town - Kilsyth
« on: Thursday 29 December 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Merry Xmas to everyone

I have been going over some documents I have relating to my Robertson/Hamilton families in Kilsyth to see if I can move it forward a bit and note that on some of the OPRs they are listed as being from either old town or new town Kilsyth, can anyone advise if this the same place. 

Thanks
Talia
Robertson, Hamilton, Morrison, Napier, Henderson, Frew: Kilsyth Stirlingshire Scotland.
Grimley: Ireland Co.Tyrone & Glasgow Scotland
Mcaulay: Isle of Lewis, Stornoway, Glasgow Scotland
Bernard: Bo'ness, Scotland
Clement & Taylor: Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Old/new town - Kilsyth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Talia,

yes I can confirm that Kilsyth is only the one town. As my father was born there.

yours,

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Talia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 12 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Wilton Endeavour

Thanks for the reply, would you have any idea as to why they would have put old/new on the birth entry (it was in 1826) in the OPR. 

Best wishes

Talia
Robertson, Hamilton, Morrison, Napier, Henderson, Frew: Kilsyth Stirlingshire Scotland.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Talia,

As far as I know it is the same place as previously Kilsyth was called Monyabroch. Not sure why they would be listed as Old and New for Kilsyth.
All my records only have Kilsyth and that is back to 1634 with the Bow family ancestors in Banton Kilsyth although there may have been areas for example Kingston Kilsyth and in some cases, certificates have been listed as Stirlingshire Kilsyth.

Just wondering if your Robertson wasnt related to the Helen Robertson married to John Bow by any chance?

yours,

Wilton Endeavour

Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Talia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wilton Endeavour

Thanks for getting back to me.  At the moment, I don't have a Helen in the Robertson line, but that's not to say that she may not be related to my Robertson's.  I just can't move the line any further than James Robertson born 1826 (my GG Grandfather) - I have only been able to find a birth reg for him which gives his parents as James Robertson Inn Keeper in old town Kilsyth and Jean Goodwin.   

Kind regards
Talia

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Talia,

i've sent you a private message with more info on your Robertson line.

Wilton Endeavour

Offline Talia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year W E,

I've sent a reply to your PM, many thanks.

Talia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
would you have any idea as to why they would have put old/new on the birth entry (it was in 1826) in the OPR. 

I don't know the area around Kilsyth at all well, but in Scotland the word 'town' or 'toun' didn't always mean a town in the modern sense. It could just mean a farm. Were there perhaps farms in the parish named Oldtown or Auldton and Newtown?

Also 1826 is just at the tail end of the time when it was fashionable for landowners to create new towns (in the modern sense) and villages. These are easy to spot because they always have straight wide streets in a rectangular plan, with the front elevations of the houses along the street. Older towns tend to have a main street that widens in the middle and then narrows again, with the houses on lanes to either side so the gable ends face the main street; they also have twisty wynds and lanes. Is it possible that the town of Kilsyth had been extended by the landowner some time in the early 19th century, and that the population referred to the original village as the 'old town' and the extension as the 'new town'?

I had a look at the 1859 Ordnance Survey Map, and it does look as if there are two parts to it, one with the classic straight streets of a planned village, the rest with the slightly random layout typical of older villages. Unfortunately so much of the town seems to have been obliterated and redeveloped that is it hard to see from the modern map whether any of it has survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Talia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,

Thanks for replying.  I didn't think about it from that angle, it could be the case as the OPR states that he was an Innkeeper, and I do have others who were Portioners. 

Talia