Author Topic: Vain hunt in 1911 census  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Eds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Vain hunt in 1911 census
« on: Friday 30 December 11 01:21 GMT (UK) »

Hiding from me????
     Mabel Wadey born 1906  ( on marr cert 1947 given age 41 and her father William deceased  Married in Scaynes Hill to Ernest Edwards

I can only find a Mabel Wadey born 1906 with a father George. Cant find any Mabel/ William combo at all.

Suggestions greatly received
Eds
HOWARD, Buckingham, Staffordshirs, Worcestershire LLOYD Shropshire, Worcestershire, EDWARDS, Sussex, Kent, London,BISHOP, MATTHEWS,Sussex, BASKERVILLE, WEBB, Glamorganshire,Monmouth.JONES, Carmarthenshire ROGERS Pembroke, Carmarthenshire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Vain hunt in 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 11 06:11 GMT (UK) »
If her birth was registered as Mabel, the only Mabel Wadey registered 2 years either side of 1906 was born in the Epsom district in the September quarter of 1905. (ref Epsom 2a 12) That slight adjustment may help find her.  The Genes Index of the 1911 does have a Mabel born in Sutton 1906, living in Chichester, Could that be the one you found or another?

The Genes sequence of indexing does not clearly show who the parents are at that address, but it is probable that Mabel had a sibling called Leslie also born Sutton 1903.  It is well worth inspecting the original for the shere jumble of Wadeys in Chichester with Sutton origins suggests there may be more than one Wadey family that had relocated there and Mabel may be sharing a Chichester address with a berieved mother, uncles, aunts and cousins.
Roy G

Offline Eds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 11 21:59 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for your reply Roy.
         The Mabel you found in Sutton is the one I found and she is  a daughter of George.
 Thanks again
 Eds
HOWARD, Buckingham, Staffordshirs, Worcestershire LLOYD Shropshire, Worcestershire, EDWARDS, Sussex, Kent, London,BISHOP, MATTHEWS,Sussex, BASKERVILLE, WEBB, Glamorganshire,Monmouth.JONES, Carmarthenshire ROGERS Pembroke, Carmarthenshire

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 11 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I was about to comment that it looked as though your Mabel Wadey may have married twice, for there is also a marriage also in Chichester of the Mabel Wadey found on the 1911 census to Winston Wakeford in 1932.  But that couple had 5 children born in the Chichester area between 1933-1948, the last being born after your Mabel's marriage to Ernest Edwards. 

The alternative that now comes to mind is that your Mabel may have been registered under a different first name at birth, and chose to be Mabel later on.  Check out the origins of the two witnesses on the M cert to see if one may have been a Wadey brother or a married sister, for finding them on the 1911 census could help you identify her.
Roy G

Offline Eds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 01:05 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for your thoughts.
The marr cert has her as a spinster and the jolly witnesses only had their initials of their first names. One is a F. Wadey., the other G.A. Teague. The Teague maybe a marr sister, so ta for that thought. I will chase it up.
 Eds

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Re Siblings:   Rootschat does not favour publishing links to other websites, so I have to circumnavigate giving you an IP address for what I found.  If you Google: ' Wadey Scaynes Hill'  hopefully it will lead you to the lengthy Genes Reunited text about a Wadey family from that location.  Below are three edited abstracts from Diana and Serena of Genes Reunited also claim to have a Mabel Wadey b1906 of Scaynes Hill in their ancestries which read as follows: 

[1] Trying to find william george wadey born in scaynes hill sussex married ruth annie bartlett from kent.  I know that he had brothers and sisters . he would have been born around 1900.
[2] he had a sister mable and my mother tells me he was born in scaynes hill . he died in 1972 and married in 1935.
[3] William G Wadey, Spouse Surname: Bartlett, Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1935, Cuckfield.

Whilst one piece suggests a possible connection with a Brighton Chimney sweep of that name, another says they believe the matriarch was a Chandler.  If so,she must have been an Amelia Chandler who married William Wadey in Horsham district in 1912.  So you may have to consider that your Wadey family includes half brothers and sisters and Mabel 1906 having a different mother or father.  (Sorry, but you did say you wanted suggestions/ideas on this)

I found 10 Wadey marriages in Cuckfield district (includes Scaynes Hill) 1934-1947, and although Mabel was about 40 then, perhaps there could have been some later born half siblings of hers amongst those.  For example, a Frederick J Wadey (the F?) married an Amelia Wadey in 1941.

Perhaps you may also be lucky and find ESRO or a major mid Sussex library still has an electoral role for Scaynes Hill district from the 1930s or late 1940s
Roy G

Offline Eds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.
   I will see what I can find re your suggestions.
   What would be REALLY great if the recorder for the marr cert made an error with the fathers and had repeated Ernest's father's name. ( William)
I suppose if all else fails the marr cert for William George will have his fathers name.

Ta again
Eds

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 07:44 GMT (UK) »
It is not uncommon for those with a first and second name to have a preference to use the second name even on official documents and for their children to then think that was the name they had been given at birth.  (my father Ernest Christopher was always Chris). So when giving the details of a deceased George William to a registrar, a child could easily use the name their father was better known by. 

Don't forget, having found no supporting evidence about Mabel's birth, it is quite possible that she too may have had her birth officially registered under another name.  She could also have been born earlier than she said so compare the age on her death cert with that on her M cert.  Often when no longer in the first flush of youth, the female of the species was not averse to hacking a few years off her actual age.  Some remained in their late 30s for over a decade!

Also, look for her father's occupation.  I noted on FreeBMD that a carter called Wadey had his child's birth registered in the Cuckfield district (Scaynes Hill?) but by the time the census was taken, the child was listed with the other siblings as having been born in Petworth.

Roy G

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:29 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for your thoughts.
The marr cert has her as a spinster and the jolly witnesses only had their initials of their first names. One is a F. Wadey., the other G.A. Teague. The Teague maybe a marr sister, so ta for that thought. I will chase it up.
 Eds

Don't forget that F Wadey could also be her sister in law- ie married to her brother. I don't suppose anyone in the family can remember her siblings names...............elderly aunts or uncles? Perhaps the ones you found on the 1911 census may ring some bells.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk