Author Topic: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA  (Read 29841 times)

Offline mancini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Yeah!! :D

Offline mancini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline mancini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »

Te Kutaroa, Tauranga, June 8, 1869.
Notice by Native Owners.This is to give notice to all persons concerned That we the undersigned natives who have sold our lands on the Island of Matakana to Messrs. Whitaker and Russell, We do hereby authorize the said lands to be surveyed at once whenever the surveyors are ready to commence the work. We sold our lands to Messrs. Whitaker and Russell and have received advances in money on a/c from them for the said lands, Therefore no persons have any right to interfere in any way with the surveyors whilst they are engaged surveying our lands. The said lands are our own property therefore we have a right to sell them to whomever we please.
Mr. Charles de Thierry is hereby authorized by us to write immediately to the surveyors and request them to return to Tauranga and commence the survey of the lands for Messrs. Whitaker and Russell.

Sigd. Te Moananui Mauao.
" Hira Moananui.
" Kereti Moananui.
" Tukunui Rangihau Wiripo.
" Hamiora Tu.

New purchase. " Raimona Te Whetu.

" Wharekawa.

New purchase. " Hohepa Hekutaia.
New purchase. " Ngapire Moananui.
New purchase. " Hira Moananui.

Native Assessor's certificate. I certify that the within statements are correct regarding the lands sold to Messrs. Whitaker and Russell on Matakana, Tauranga. (We have received no advance on the lands which have not been sold.)
Sigd. Te kuka Te Mea,
Nat. Assessor.

Witness—

C. T. F. Br. de Thierry, Licensed Interpreter.
Lit. Translation.—C.D.T., L.I.

Offline mancini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:38 GMT (UK) »
(Enclosure 7 in No. 466.)
Enclosure 7.Memorandum of agreement made this Tenth day of November One Thousand Eight hundred and Sixty Eight Between Te Moananui Native Chief of the District of Tauranga in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand of the one part and Messrs. Whitaker and Russell, Solicitors of the City of Auckland of the other part.
Whereby the said Te Moananui agrees to sell to the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell, All that piece or parcel of land situated on the Island of Matakana in the District of Tauranga in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand and known by the name of Whakatopo and containing six hundred acres more or less.

Whakatopo. [600 acres.] And the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell agree to purchase the said land and to pay to Te Moananui at the rate of Four shillings p. acre in manner following, the sum of Forty pounds on signing this agreement and the balance on the execution of a conveyance for the said land. And the said Te Moananui further agrees to have the said surveyed without loss of time at his cost.
Signed this Tenth day of November One Thousand Eight hundred and Sixty Eight.

Te Moananui Mauac.
Whitaker and Russell.

In the presence of—

Wy. Ashcroft.

I hereby certify that I have read over the above agreement to Te Moananui and that he fully understands its contents.

Richard de Thierry, L.I.

Receipt for £40. Received the sum of Forty pounds stg. on a/c.

Te Moananui Mauao.

Auckland, 10 Novr, 1868.
Previous Section | Table of Cont

Offline catharris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 30 April 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
Kia ora, hello,
I am not sure if either my mother or I have posted on here before.  I am a descendant of James Ponui Nicholls and Hera Te Whakaawa through their daughter Lennie (aka Laura/Rennie/Rena) who married John Stewart Patty.  Mum has some old pictures but I think they are of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  I would have to check. My great grandmother is Laura Evelyn Pattie, the daughter of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  There is a lot of info to read on here! 

I am currently living in Melbourne - which has been great for researching  John Stewart Patty (born in Ballarat, the family name is Pattie, but his is Patty on his birth certificate etc).  We have his marriage certificate and death certificate, also I think Lennie or her daughters birth certificate.  I will find out this weekend when I am back in Auckland.

sorry for the ramble!

Thanks

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Catherine Harris

Auckland, New Zealand

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 30 April 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome cuz,

think i spotted you on the original Maori.org or one of the other older rootsweb posts.

plenty of whanau on here and the ladies have been going full steam ahead, using the paperspast site, plus family stories ....  :)

As always some branches don't want much out on line, but after 3 posts you can use the pm (personal message) system to get in touch. 

And you will have to take your email off, house rulz ..  :-\

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
  • We are all related somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Kia ora, hello,
I am not sure if either my mother or I have posted on here before.  I am a descendant of James Ponui Nicholls and Hera Te Whakaawa through their daughter Lennie (aka Laura/Rennie/Rena) who married John Stewart Patty.  Mum has some old pictures but I think they are of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  I would have to check. My great grandmother is Laura Evelyn Pattie, the daughter of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  There is a lot of info to read on here! 

I am currently living in Melbourne - which has been great for researching  John Stewart Patty (born in Ballarat, the family name is Pattie, but his is Patty on his birth certificate etc).  We have his marriage certificate and death certificate, also I think Lennie or her daughters birth certificate.  I will find out this weekend when I am back in Auckland.

sorry for the ramble!

Thanks

Hi Catharris, welcome!

Lovely to see your message, yes plenty to read on Rootschat, most of us are also in email contact. Once you have made two more posts you can use the private msg function - would love to chat to you via email or pm.

I think we are still missing photos of Nicholls siblings James Ponui (Hemi) & Susan (Huhana) & of course Te Whakaawa herself.

William Nicholls Snr - his mother re-married (Box) and moved to Melbourne so you have some relatives near by!  ;)

Cheers,
Anita
Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
http://www.westernbay.govt.nz/Documents/Projects/MatakanaIsland/BOFFA_CulturalValuesAssessmentReport.pdf

Another link.Page 36 has whakapapa lines,Kutaroa Marae ;D

WOW that just blows my mind - all the way back to Ranginui =Papatuanuku !  :o :D
Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile