Author Topic: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA  (Read 29836 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Wow Anita
Some more great background info  :o
bye
Althea

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
  • We are all related somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Looks like the Nicholls thread (archived) is back online on Maori.org.nz

http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz/archives/viewthread.php?TOPIC_ID=4097

NICHOLLS family From the Original Whakapapa Club:

Mk2_Zephyr
New Zealand
Posted: 28/10/2007

Looking for any info on the Nicholls family of Tauranga-Te Aroha.

William George Nicholls married Hera Te Whakaawa (m ? 1845-49)

children:
 Charlotte (m twice I think)
 James Ponui ( m Hera Kiriwatai / Pepene ?)
 Alice Grey ( m Charles Dearle )
 William Grey (m Rihoto Mataia )
 Susanna ( m ?}
 Sarah (m) ?

While I would love to find all my cousins, for the moment, I am trying to sort out this generation.

Very interested in William Nicholls parents (from England) and Hera Te Whakaawas parents, also the Kiwiwatai/Pepene lineage.

Any information gladly accepted.

There seems to be a couple of conflicting family trees out there and I'm trying to sort it out.

If anyone has William Nicholls death (1900) certificate that would be great.

I believe the Whakaawa family is from Matakana island, if anyone knows more please let me know, apparently there are 5 hapus on the island, would be good to narrow them down.
Also anyone know how to visit Matakana island, this would also be great, as I would like to visit.
Thanks,

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Oct 29 2007 6:20:44 PM

one in a thou
Australia
Posted: 31/10/2007

Kia ora there - you don't mean the Wharekawa whanau??

To get to Matakana Island you have to catch the barge from Omokoroa Point. Cost is about $20.00 a car and $2.00 or $3.00 per passenger each way.

The names of the hapu are as follows: Whanau a Tauwhao, Ngai Tuwhiwhia, Ngati Tauaiti and Ngai Tamawhariua.

Hope this is of some help

Mk2_Zephyr
New Zealand
Posted: 31/10/2007

thanks

GillianObrien

Posted: 10/11/2007

Hi there Mk2 Zephyr
 William George Nicholls married Hera Te Whakaawa are my great great grand parents.

Have found this generation quite confusing as williams nicholls appears to have a son, again call william (wiremu) nihcolls.

Rightly or wrongly the info I have says that William Nicholls Father is Obediah Nicholls.

Again: Im not sure if this info is correct, but I have Heras parents as Haru(m) & Meroiti(f.

Does this reflect any info that you have??

Thanks

Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
continued...

GillianObrien

Posted: 10/11/2007

Also you may find this link interesting pertaining to Charles Dearle (m alice)
 http://www.nativeagent.co.nz/story.shtml

Mk2_Zephyr
New Zealand
Posted: 12/11/2007

Kia Ora, Gillian

It seems to be a confusing generation, but I believe the son was William Grey Nicholls and the father was William or William George. I have seen Obediah as the father of the elder William also and he was married to an Alice Grey.

Working hard on a Hokianga branch at moment, but keep in touch and I'm sure we can get it all sorted. Have ordered Williams' (the elder) death certificate so that should help.

And yes I read the Nativeagent link a while back.

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Nov 16 2007 01:12:09 AM

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Nov 18 2007 10:21:44 PM

kafrim

Posted: 15/11/2007

Hi there,

What a small world it is!! I am too a descendant of James Ponui Nicholls. My mother Judith has more detailed information, including family trees researched by a family member. More information can also be found in a book - Pukenga (not sure of the exact title), which documents the whakapapa of Ngati Pukenga. I am a descendant of Ponui's daughter (I think and I beleive he is my great great great great great grandfather. I met another cousin last year during a three month job at work, I am a geologist. After a discussion with our excavator operator I discovered we were both related to Willian Nicholls (the father). An interesting fact about William Grey Nicholls is that he was involved with the discovery of the Martha gold mine at Waihi. I discovered this while reading books in the Auckland University Library. More info wanted please feel free to contact me, I would be glad to share information as I am sure my mother would too -

krysalis
New Zealand
Posted: 17/02/2008

I do have copies of death certificates of i) William Nicholls ... son of Obidiah Nicholls of Falmouth, England, and Alica Grey. He died 13 dec. 1900 at Mangaiti, Te Aroha. He apparently had 2 sons and 2 daughters. Wife was Hera Te Whakaawa. Age when he died: 82 ii) James Ponui Nicholls.... died at Kopu, aged 88, in 1941. He is described as married to Merea Kiriwaiti. Accroding to the death certificate, he only has 1 child, a son,still living at the time. My relative of his family, known as Lena Evelyn, died in 1915. ( I also have a copy of her death certificate.) A copy of a family tree I have been fiven,lists 3 children for James Ponui and Hera: Lena, Humphrey and Meara (Mary).Hope this is of some help.

Mk2_Zephyr
New Zealand
Posted: 20/02/2008

Thank you both, I am sure we can sort this all out soon.

Sorry, if I take a while to reply, I am still flat out on some Hokianga family.

Tatai-Kokero
Aotearoa
Posted: 25/02/2008

Kia ora whanau

I am a descendent of Charlotte (Harete) Nicholls and its great to see so many whanau out there.

Yes Charlotte was married twice. Her first husband (a Ships Captain) and 2(?) children were drowned in Hobart. After this she returned to Matakana and married Joseph Smallman and my family descends from here.

The information above agrees with what I have (My aunt has a complete whakapapa on both the Famouth and Matakana lines if anyone is interested.

The hapu at Matakana is Ngati Tauaiti and I beleive that **  (a cousin) is still chairman of the Ngati Pukenga Runanga (Iwi Authority)

As an interesting aside the Maces mentioned in the Charles Dearle link above were accountants. My father went looking for an accountant oneday and found the Maces firm and the (apparently) red haired blue-eyed pakeha Mr MAce.
 Then one day the older Mace came in with a family tree showing that we were related

Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hey .. looks familar ...  :D

Lots of incorrect info mixed in there. Sorted most of it now ...

There are also cousins messages on some of the older message boards.  genforum.genealogy.com/nicholls/messages/564.html

Offline ESAMUEL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 05 May 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Anita,
Im very new to the site and was wondering how I can send you messages instead of butting in on your conversations.
I am trying to put something together for my children and their children to show them where there roots are and would like get some help from you, I too also maybe able to help you as well ok.
I too come from the Obadiah Nicholls .
My family are around Te Aroha to Okauia and my great Grandmothers name is "Annie"

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 05 May 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your message. I think now that you have made a few posts you are now able to send me a private message - look for the icon under my name.

Always happy to hear from anyone about this family  ;D

Cheers,
Anita

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 28 April 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I think all contributors to this thread will receive a notification so just wanted to let you know P. Hart has recently updated his paper about William Nicholls Snr.

In the future it may be published including a few photos, we are still searching for images of James/Hemi, Susan/Huhana & of course Sarah/Hera Te Whakaawa.

If anyone would like a copy of the paper please drop me a line :)

Offline Bruce Patty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
Bruce Patty here, I'm a direct descendant of John Stewart and Lennie Patty.  I would be very keen to get a copy of any old pictures that your mum has and find out about your Ballarat research.
Cheers
Bruce
Hamilton, NZ

Kia ora, hello,
I am not sure if either my mother or I have posted on here before.  I am a descendant of James Ponui Nicholls and Hera Te Whakaawa through their daughter Lennie (aka Laura/Rennie/Rena) who married John Stewart Patty.  Mum has some old pictures but I think they are of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  I would have to check. My great grandmother is Laura Evelyn Pattie, the daughter of John Stewart Patty and Lennie.  There is a lot of info to read on here! 

I am currently living in Melbourne - which has been great for researching  John Stewart Patty (born in Ballarat, the family name is Pattie, but his is Patty on his birth certificate etc).  We have his marriage certificate and death certificate, also I think Lennie or her daughters birth certificate.  I will find out this weekend when I am back in Auckland.

sorry for the ramble!

Thanks

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cjhond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re. William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if this website is still fully functioning, but interesting to see all the chat here re. my ancestors.
I am the great-granddaughter of Lilla May Dearle, whose grandmother was Hera Te Whakaawa.
Her uncle was James Ponui Nicholls.
Always happy to discuss or answer any questions.
I was very close to my grandmother who started our family history interest in the 1970s and only died a few years ago at almost 94.

Cheers,
Carlene Hond (born Dickie)
Te Pere; Grogan; McNeil; Dickie; Te Whakaawa; Nicholls/Nikora; Dearle; Rickards; McGowan