Author Topic: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA  (Read 29782 times)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William NICHOLLS & Hera Te WHAKAAWA
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:16 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline Anothergenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Let me know if I can help with anything else I am happy to share

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mk2
you can see this at Cornwall OPC Database
Day Month 09-Jan
Year 1822
Parish Or Reg District Gluvias, St.
Forename Obediah
Surname NICHOLLS
Age 31
Residence Falmouth
Notes 
Transcriber Notes 
Transcriber N Frish/K Halley

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/burials/
bye
Althea

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
  • We are all related somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 January 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anothergenie

I am also connected to William Nicholls and Te Whakaawa through their daughter Alice Grey Nicholls who married Charles John Dearle

I found some family photos this week which is very exciting!!

Do you have any photos of William and his family?

Will send you a private message with my email as I would love to chat to you further about the family and trade info :)

If anyone else would like copies of the photos please contact me via PM

Cheers,
Anita
Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 January 12 02:54 GMT (UK) »
There are some updates on an old thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=310232.new
re Hera's burial site
Bye
althea

Offline kath62

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anothergenie.....do you have the names of all the children of Obediah & Alice?...I only have four...am also very interested in the parents of John Nicholls & Dorothy Stephens....I have extensive whakapapa on the family in NZ  but as has been mentioned, event dates are not readily available...I am not keen on having whakapapa all over the internet but am willing to email info out to family members....cheers....Kath

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome kath
once you have made two more posts anita will be bale to contact you via the PM message system
I have been making a plea to any of the family researchers for pioneer forms (pre 1900 Thames Valley families) for The Treasury research centre in Thames..same to you if you are interested.

http://www.thetreasury.org.nz/images/PioneerRegisterForm12.pdf

Many thanks for joining in
Bye
althea

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 January 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Yeah,

not exactly the one you looking for at the moment, Healer, but when i have time to sort the file on the early family, I will pass it on.

but the ladies are going strong, they have got that early passion,    :)

I'm sure others have info to share, but all in good time, no rush ...

and welcome kath62  ..  8)

Offline anitawanita

• RootsChat Member
  • We are all related somehow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Ellipitt kindly looked up these newspaper clipping for me  ;D

OBITUARY – Mrs A.G. DEARLE

One of Te Aroha’s best known and oldest pioneers in the person of Mrs Alice Grey Dearle passed away at her home on Wednesday evening. Mrs Dearle, who had reached the ripe age of 81 years, was born in the Waikato and went through the troublesome time of the Maori Wars as did many of our best settlers of the pioneer days. In 1880 she married Mr Charles J Dearle, who was one of the Thames early settlers, being connected with the School of Mines, Clerk of the Court, and other Government institutions. After Mr Dearle’s death, Mrs Dearle carried on farming in the Te Aroha, where she reard (sic) her six daughters, five of whom survive her. Her daughters are: Mrs G Rogers (Te Aroha West), Mrs G W Mace (Auckland), Mrs A W Wight (Mangaiti), Mrs E Hines (Mangaiti), Mrs  R M Taylor (Te Aroha), and Mrs S Rickards (Auckland), who died four years ago.  She leaves 27 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren. The funeral, which was a large one, took place at the Te Aroha cemetery on Friday afternoon. The pall bearers were six of her grandsons. [‘Te Aroha News’ Wednesday, 28oct1936, p4]

LADIES OF TE AROHA
For some time, the press, radio and TV have been stressing the diminishing number of our native Maori women who featured the ‘moko’.
As children we were privileged to know one in our own district who carried this distinction with great pride.
Recently, older residents were reminded of this wonderful woman when her grandson, “the self styled millionaire Clarrie Rickard” was featured in the NZ Herald. He proudly acknowledged that he was part Maori and that his grandmother who wore the moko was a great lady.
This man never spoke a truer word for that aptly describes his maternal grandmother, Sarah Dearle who lived in Mangaiti for many years. Here she farmed many acres and raised six daughters, including his mother, the former Cassie Dearle who was very popular among fellow school mates.
Unfortunately Sarah Dearle’s only son died in childhood despite the fact that his mother drove a horse drawn vehicle to Thames each week to consult a doctor.
The only daughter living in the district today is Mrs E Wight, of Centennial Avenue.
The late Sarah Dearle was a gracious woman and to be invited to her home was considered a special privilege. She carried herself like a princess, had a beautiful speaking voice and was always suitably and smartly dressed.
As a proud wife and mother she was determined that her family had the best education available at that time. She was emphatic that her children were sent to school to learn the ‘Queen’s’ english and Maori was not spoken in their home.
Yet, from her, many true and valuable traditions were learnt by the young visitors to her home; where musical evenings around the piano were as popular as their six lovely daughters.
To the present generation her best known and respected granddaughter was the late Mrs E Erison who was associated with many organisations which benefited both the old and the young.
Those who knew her were conscious of the fact that she was a wonderful woman, a granddaughter of the great lady who wore the ‘moko’ and who personified the best of both worlds and cultures. [‘Te Aroha News’, Thursday, 12dec1974, p3]

Manning, Guildford/Guilford, Love, McEneany, Bernard, Aislabie, Potter, Cain/Kean, West, Ross, Nicholls, Dearle, Rogers, Howard, Fergusson, Raynor, Butler, Bland, Smart, Greig, de Almeida (Azores)...