Author Topic: Hargraves & Harries of Pembroke Dock  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Hargraves & Harries of Pembroke Dock
« on: Friday 30 December 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone researching or have the following in there research ;

Rear Admiral Herbert James Hargraves buried at Llanion 23 Dec 1933. Baptised at Llanstadwell in 1874 to Schoolmaster James S. & Mary J. Hargraves. Among much else he was severely wounded at the Taku Forts (China) 17 Jun 1900 CBE gazetted 12 Jul 1919.

Seaman David Millier Harries buried at Llanion 19 Jun 1913. Aged 68 of Apley Terrace son of the late T.Dunbar Harries of the Dock, David was present at the invaision by Irish Armericans on Canadian soil at St Coix in 1866

In the course of my research into, Military Headstones related to Pembrokeshire of 1722 to 2008, I have come across an interesting problem, I would like to resolve.

These two unrelated persons are both shown as being buried in Plot P. Grave 347 at Llanion, which given they are only buried 20 years apart I find somewhat unusual.

I have been in contact with P.C.C. Burial Services, suggesting a possible error has been made and they inform me, I quote their answer in full ;
“The written register confirms this and so there is no evidence to suggest that a mistake has been made. The grave is an unpurcgased one and could be used for any person’s burial.”

I quite agree that the grave could be used for any one person’s burial, but for two people just 20 years apart ~ I think not. In all the 900+ graves/headstones of military/ex-military, I have researched from Llanion alone this has not happened before.

I do not need or seek further research on either gentleman, but would like to confirm from descendents that the family of David Miller Harries still resided in the Dock post 1933 and by inference would have attended their son/siblings grave or perhaps someone has reference to a different plot for either gentleman.

Happy New Year to all

Orielbenfro
Pembrokeshire Military Headstones 1722 to 2008
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline jj46

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hargraves & Harries of Pembroke Dock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I have only just come across your query about Herbert J. Hargraves, and David Miller Harris, and the fact that they are buried in the same grave, but years apart.
I have been researching the families as my husband is connected to both.
You probably already have an answer to your question, but I thought I would put my theory to you.
Mary Jane Hall Hargraves, the Mother of Herbert J. Hargraves was the sister of David Miller Harris's wife, Martha Ann Hall Harris.
Which could also explain why the two chaps were living in the same house in Apley Terrace, Pembroke Dock, at the time of their deaths. Being Welsh, they kept things in the family!
I am sorry that I can't tell you if any family members are still in the area; none that we know of.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Hargraves & Harries of Pembroke Dock
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply. I have been able to fully sort and understand the connection within the family.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015