Author Topic: Donald Sutherland & Margaret McIntosh (please help?)  (Read 10600 times)

Offline ClanSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Sutherland & Margaret McIntosh (please help?)
« on: Saturday 31 December 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »

Hello...
My name is Christine Sutherland-Matthews (from New Zealand) and I've come across a 'brick wall' in my search for my ancestors, but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me if I gave you the current information I have?

My grandfather, Alexander Sutherland was born in Avoch, Scotland,... To Donald Sutherland and Margaret Sutherland (McIntosh)
He was born about 1889.
He emmigrated to NZ in the early 1900's. This is the only info I have about my grandfather and great grandparents.

Purely by accident in my search, I came across a site with gravestones and to my surprise came across a headstone that read
Donald Sutherland died 4.6.1934 aged 67 (so he would have been born 1967)
And also Margaret McIntosh died 2.4. 1942 aged 73 (so she would have been born 1969)
They also had a grandson who died 4.5.1943 aged 28.
This was on their gravestone, so I HOPED their birth dates would tied in with the birth of Alexander in 1889? It seemed feasable with those dates...

Of course,  this may not be at all correct,  but the likelihood of the two connections seems 'too coincidental'...

I guess what I'm asking, hoping, is that somebody might be able to help me confirm their (Donald and Margaret) birthdates/ death dates and maybe even marriage dates, and THEIR parents? So I can start my family tree over (I say over because I had already started,  even as far back as 1750, but only to find I'd started with the wrong great grandparents!!   I am trying to make up a family tree of our Sutherland Clan....
I would be eternally grateful!! I have had NO luck whatsover on the FreeCen site...plus couple of other free sites, so very frustrating and I've been 'stung' more than once with the pay sites, getting nowhere and having to buy credits for a search!  So many other's come up blank even though I KNOW the information is correct as I have the very paperwork  the marriage certificate of my grandfather,  in my hand! (just received this today)

If you are able to point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.  Please bear in mind I cannot afford all these pay sites anymore!!

Kindest Regards

Online gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Sutherland & Margaret McIntosh (please help?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,had a look at the 1871 census and found 1 result that matched,,,,cant prove its your Donald as yet,,,,

high st Avoch  1871

John Sutherland b 1837  fisherman
Margaret Sutherland b 1834
Jessie b 1862
betsy b 1864
Donald Sutherland b 1867
Margaret b 1870

all born Avoch.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

From another forum, someone has also just provided this info:

Parents married 7/10/1887 in Avoch C of S. Both lived at the time in Avoch and he was a fisherman. His parents were John Sutherland, fisherman and Margaret Reid. Hers were Alexander McIntosh, also a fisherman and Betsy Reid.

Christine, how have you confirmed that these were the names of your Alexander's parents? Is this from his marriage or death cert?

As you have seen, easy to go off line without being able to confirm some of the key data.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
1871 census  sea shore rd Avoch

Alexander McIntosh b 1838  fisherman
Betsy b 1833
William b 1866
Margaret b 1868
Mary Ann b 1871

all born Avoch.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ClanSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:54 GMT (UK) »
HI all and thanks soooooo much for your input!  Where do you find all this where one doesn't have to pay out dollars?
I have my grandparents marriage certificate - state Alexanders' parents were Donald SUtherland and Margaret McIntosh - (this was also written in my mother's bible)

I appreciate this so much...!

Offline ClanSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh LOL!  I just realised my typo - 1967 instead of 1867 and so one!  ha!  Guess you all figured that though, huh??  ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 December 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
1871 Census - High Street, Avoch, Ross and Cromarty

John Sutherland    34    Fisherman      b. Avoch, Ross
Margaret Sutherland  37                           ditto
Jessie Sutherland  9                                 ditto
Betsy Sutherland 7                                   ditto
Donald Sutherland 4                                 ditto
Margaret Sutherland 1                              ditto

John Sutherland 22 Fisherman, son of Donald Sutherland, Fisher and Janet (nee Hanson) married Margaret Reid 26, dau. of John Reid, Fisher and Janet (nee Davidson, on 4/10/1861 Avoch, Ross & Cromarty

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 December 11 12:22 GMT (UK) »
John Sutherland b.18/8/1837, bp.6/10/1837 Avoch, Ross & Cromarty, son of Donald Sutherland and Janet Manson (her surname on sons marriage certificate could have been Hanson or Manson and obviously the latter).

Donald Sutherland and Janet Manson married 5/10/1832 Avoch, Ross and Cromarty.

These 2 events are free on familysearch.org

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk