Author Topic: Thomas James REID c1886 - HELP  (Read 3077 times)

Offline penguinjeff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas James REID c1886 - HELP
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out more details on a Thomas James REID c1886 from Monmouthshire. I have the birth certificate of my grandmother Eva Maud REID b.26/12/1908. Her fathers name is shown as Thomas James REID and mother Elizabeth Louisa REID formerly WATTS.
I can find an Elizabeth Louisa WATTS married to a Thomas Henry REID, but nowehere can I find an Elizabeth married to Thomas James REID.
It is driving me mad.

Many thanks

Jeff A

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas James REID c1886 - HELP
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 12 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Given the information from a certain census I would say that is the correct marriage you found.

Welcome to Rootschat and happy new year
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
 Hi jeff
can find no Thomas  Reid/Reed/Read in wales with the middle name  of James. I have a Thomas William Reed, birthdate jan/feb/ March 1886
born to William Rudge Reed and wife Sarah, william was a groom - born Bryngwyn, Mon This was their first child.
On1891,1901 and 1911 Thomas is just Thomas Reed  he married Elizabeth Loiusa  Watts at Newport Mon.1906 as
Thomas Henry Reid
  Eva Maud was their second child  1909 Sorry cannot help more can`t see how Henry can be transcribed as James on
eva`s birth certificate- Still stanger things have happened !!!

Offline Anxioajie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff, hope this page reaches you. I think the confusion has stemmed from oral family history insomuch as Thomas James Reid was the first born son of Thomas Henry Reid and Elizabeth Louisa Watts. Uncle Tommy went to Canada very early on, sometime before WW1 was working as a fur trapper/trader in and round Alberta (in later years his family lived in Peace River during the 1950s and 1960s). I still have a doll they sent me when I was little. It was Thomas James Reid in Canada that served as a signalman with the Canadian Army (I think) in WW2. There was a newspaper story of the Reids in Brecon/Llanfrynach during WW2 of having the most children in uniform for the duration. My father used to have an old copy but that was lost during Cyclone Tracy in Darwin. I do remember seeing it, and have just started searching British newspaper archives in the hope of finding the story. Elizabeth's line back through the Knapp's seems to be one of masons/housebuilding that type of thing. Her grandfather was Alfred Knapp (Mary Ann nee Knapp Watts father). After exhaustive searching in UK records, I have not found any Thomas James Reid.  Given that he is Thomas Henry Reid on the marriage certificate, and that Elizabeth was underage and pregnant, wonder if it was a deliberate mistake, especially as all of his war records prior to, during and after WW1 state he is Thomas James Reid (he was wounded during WW1 but haven't got into his war record yet). I know this as the only photo I remembered seeing of him was in Wales during a visit there in the early 1990s and he was wearing the silver wounded on active service badge on his coat lapel.

kind regards

An