Author Topic: Douglas's from Lurgan  (Read 4308 times)

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas's from Lurgan
« on: Monday 02 January 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am descended from William Douglas, born 1771, nr. Lurgan. He had a brother Hillary Douglas (of Kinnego)  brothers  John Douglas (of Kinnego) and Moses Douglas (of Kinnego), as well as Henry Douglas, James Douglas, Thomas Douglas and Robert Douglas. Their father, we have found, was Moses Douglas born about 1740 or so.. and mother was Catherine Marsden (possibly the daughter of Robert Marsden of Kinnego).

Hoping to connect with anyone who has Douglas roots to the Lurgan area. The last known Douglas's associated with this family (and still living in Lurgan) are Moses Douglas born 1863 and his wife Jeannie Allen. Moses died 1934 and I am not sure what happened to his children Samuel and Francis.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas's from Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 09:43 GMT (UK) »
See that you didn't get any replies to this post from last January.

For reference here's Moses and family in 1901 census- children Samuel Walter 4, Francis Hazel 2.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Cornakinnegar/Derrylisnahavil/1024162

In 1911 the family are in the same townland- 7 children but only 6 living.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Cornakinnegar/Derrylisnahavil/335094
Children: Walter 14, Frances Hezel 12, Winnifred 9, Eileen 6, Muriel 3, Allan ? 4 mo.

From PRONI Will extracts: "Douglas Moses of Clarence Villa Avenue Road Lurgan county Armagh warehouse manager died 12 September 1934 Probate Belfast 14 January to James McCammon farmer and S. Walter Douglas factory manager. Effects £6165 5s. 1d."

Have you seen the Will to see if Samuel Walter & Francis Hazel are mentioned?

Birth: Samuel Walter Douglas, Apr./June 1896 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 719
Birth: Frances Hazel Douglas, Oct./Dec.1898 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 658
Birth: Winifred Douglas, Oct./Dec.1901 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 643
Birth: Eileen Gertrude Douglas, Apr./June 1904 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 723
Birth: Mary Muriel Douglas, Apr./June 1908 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 705
Birth: Allan Victor Douglas, Oct./Dec.1910 Lurgan registration district, volume 1 page 594
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU!! I hadn't seen the 1911 census, as Douglas was spelled Donglas!!  This gives me a littl more to add and go on.

No, I haven't seen the will for this Moses, I think this is one I would have to visit PRONI in person to be able to see?

Jenni

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »

No, I haven't seen the will for this Moses, I think this is one I would have to visit PRONI in person to be able to see?

If you can't get to PRONI, they will normally print you a copy, but there is likely to be a fee for doing that. You should e-mail them to check on that.
Elwyn

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennie,

In the 1953 Street Directory for Lurgan, there is a Mrs. Jeannie Douglas - Avenue Road and a Samuel W. Douglas - 138 Avenue Road listed.

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/the-lurgan-street-directories/the-belfast-and-province-of-ulster-directory-for-1953/

The 1955 Street Directory for Lurgan (not yet published on Lurgan-Ancestry) again lists Mrs. Jeannie Douglas - Avenue Road.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 13 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :o

Hopefully one day I can trace down Samuel, his family is definitely related to mine, we found our common ancestor this last Summer. He was Moses Douglas born about 1740, who married Catherine Marsden of Kinnegoe in 1768. This is where the Douglas family (at least Moses family)settled (Kinnegoe). Moses likely had a brother George also living in the area.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
a 1973 phone book on ancestry has a S W Douglas living in Bangor. No S or Samuel Douglas in Lurgan. Might be him ...

Offline Jimj0will

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
My father told me we were descended from the DOUGLAS family of SHOLTO-DOUGLAS/Marquess of Queensberry fame. 

I found some DOUGLAS's - my Great Great Grandmother was Jean DOUGLAS b1813.  I found her in Whitehaven Cumbria but she took the trouble to visit her brother John on census night in 1871 at Liverpool - some family members seem to have made a very helpful habit of this!  With the information showing her birth year AND her brother John's birth year, I was able to identify them with reasonable confidence in Ireland.

I found Jean as a child aged 8 on the 1821 Census in Edenburt, Lurgan.  She had brothers, Alex'r aged 6 and Robert aged 4 and John aged 2.  30 year old Anne DOUGLAS was shown as a widow.  Unfortunately this meant that I remain unable to ID the father. 

I did find a marriage of an Anne SPILLER to a Richard DOUGLAS in 1813 but I could not find anything positive to say this was the deceased husband.  Or if Anne SPILLER is my Anne DOUGLAS.  I note a tendency to name first born sons after the father and note the first born son in this case was Alexander. 

Is anyone else working on this line? 

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for getting in touch. The Lurgan that you are researching for family is in County Cavan (Edenburt, Lurgan Parish, Cavan).  My family is from the town of Lurgan, in County Armagh.

Yes, the Irish-Scotts used a naming pattern so you will see names repeated: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cregan/patterns.htm

All the best with your search.