Author Topic: ROBINSON of Victoria  (Read 6827 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROBINSON of Victoria
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Sue I would suggest that Ernest ABRAM is Winifred's brother.  He was 28 year 10 months of age in 1916. CANDO

Yes, :D
{There are moments when it would be a good idea for me to either tune in or tune out ;)}

Have had a look around for WALTER's half brother FRANK in Victoria, but do not see his death in Victoria to 1985.

Do you know his wife's name Des?  [if she is deceased it is permitted to publish it]

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Another child of the WALTER ROBINSON/MARY EVELINE  marriage.

Death
ROBINSON  William Alfred
Father Walter
Mother Mary  WARE
Death Place MENT
Age 63
Year 1969
Reg Number 24013

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.asp?ServiceID=A&VeteranID=495098

ww2 summary for WILLIAM ALFRED

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 04:13 GMT (UK) »
TROVE has

a silver wedding notice 1940 for a Frank ABRAM m someone with surname WRIGHT in 1915

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11304423

birth notice 1920 for a son to 'Mr and Mrs E ABRAM, nee HODSON (late Mawdesley, Omskirk, Lancashire).

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1675510

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline shimminallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Leanne, Judith, Sue, Cando! I am truly amazed at how much you have unearthed in just a few hours. It is certainly looking a lot more likely that I have living relatives out there in Victoria.

Offline shimminallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry but I don't have any other second names. I do have two birthday books though. One was given in 1900  to Walter's sister Ethel - my grandmother - on her 16th birthday, and the other belonged to Ida Muriel, brother of Frank, whom I mentioned in my first post.
Very interestingly Mary E. Ware appears in Ethel's book on 24 November.

ROBINSON Mary Eveline
Father Ware Samson  Mother   Jane Ingham
At Ivanhoe    1915 34 years  Reg#9613

Now there is another family mystery connected to Australia, that is much more of a long shot, but may perhaps be connected to these results. We have an old photo, which I am attaching, of the Edward Robinson - Ann Evans family. This was sent by Violet Horsey to Ida Muriel Robinson, probably in the 1960s or 1970s, with the notes that I have added beneath it.
The children in the image should be:
William b1851
Emma Jane b1851
Agnes b1857
Mary Jane b1859
James b1861
Laura b1864
Alice b1866
from the UK census (many thanks to Grant Griffiths of Aus for sharing his intersecting, if erroneous, tree)
So judging from the ages Violet must have made an error, most likely with Alice, and that the seated girl on the left is Agnes, Alice is on the floor at the front, and that Violet's mother was Laura, at the back; William Evans is standing at the back on the right. I didn't know about any of these aunts and uncle of my grandmother until rather recently, and I have no other information about Violet other than that she had a daughter Rona Woodroffe.
Anyway, in the note is a cryptic reference to 'Emmeline' and Australia, so I was wondering if this was a mis-remembered Eveline, and that Emma Jane Robinson was the mother of Mary E Ware. For this to be true Jane would need to be on her second marriage. She might have married Mr Ingham, and then after he died married her first cousin Walter.
Muriel's bday book gives Frank's bday as 27 April, though Ethel's doesn't mention him.
I will need to post further questions on the family to Robinsons of Lancashire.

A separate question - is MENT short for a place near melbourne?

Death
ROBINSON  William Alfred
Father Walter
Mother Mary  WARE
Death Place MENT
Age 63
Year 1969
Reg Number 24013

Many thanks
Des

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
MENT is an abbreviation for Mentone - a suburb of melbourne

Electoral Roll 1968
William Alfred ROBINSON, 2A Fourth St, S. 11, builder
At same address Christina ROBINSON, home duties

I am not sure if this is the current Parkdale or Black Rock - I think it may be Parkdale.  (Australia changed from old post codes which were somewhat similar to the old London ones to new ones which are four digits)  Someone else may be able to let us know.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage of EDNA's brother WILLIAM ALFRED

ROBINSON Wm Alfred
To LE GREW Christina
Year 1928
Registration Number 9338

The couple were cremated at Springvale and are located together.
http://www.deceasedsearch.com/index.php

Christina Robinson. Date- 10/07/1992
Aged 85

She was born in Victoria and we can provide further details of her and her family if of interest. :)
Sue

Offline shimminallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again, Judith and Sue. Yes, I would be interested in Christina's family, notably her children, who would be my second cousins. :)
FWIW going through Ethel's birthday book closely I find a Violet Atkinson in child's writing, and also a Laura Atkinson and a James Atkinson. So presumably Laura Robinson married James Atkinson and Violet was their daughter.
There is no James Robinson so he may have died. There is an Alice Slater, and also Eleanor, J. F. and  E. Slater, so it may be a young Alice Slater in the photo. But there is also a Sissie Hirst and a Martha Hirst; Sissie might also be the Alice in the photo. There is no Mr Hirst listed in the book, and no Emma or Agnes of any kind.
Des