Author Topic: Rob Roy McGregor  (Read 18838 times)

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rob Roy McGregor
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi out there does anyone know the genealogy of Rob Roy McGregor, my family has always told me that we are descendants of his I live in Australia and some of my ancestors came from Northern Ireland but were originally from Scotland, i believe their moving to Co Tyrone, Nth Ireland is connected to the linen and flax trade. Is there some way of tracing his ancestors eg whom did he marry and where, how many children did he have and what are their names etc. As he is a large part of Scottish history there must be info somewhere. In anticipation many thanks for any help.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Roy McGregor
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Junie43 with regard to your family tree you can only go on the records that are available

What is the earliest name, date and place that you have confirmed for your ancestors?

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Junie

This is a photo I took of Rob Roy McGregor's Grave also a plan of the churchyard,
I took while there last year

Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi junie,whether your family story is true or not I don't know but after 1603 many McGregors changed their name as it became an offence to even bear that name.I imagine many also fled elsewhere.Rob Roy emerges about this time and even he used the surname Campbell at one time,ironically the name of one of his clan's enemies.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Wasn't his mother Margaret Campbell.

Regards

Malky

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
 Yes his mother was Margaret Campbell,  Malky

Sybil
ORKNEY
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »
You might find this of interest  http://www.incallander.co.uk/rob_roy.htm

Sybil
ORKNEY

Offline Jimster

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »

And there's more, with individuals all over the world claiming to be direct decendants.

Regards

Malky

Apparently Robin Hall (from  the folk duo Robin Hall and Jimmie Macgregor) also claimed to be a direct descendant.

http://www.allcelticmusic.com/artists/Robin%20Hall.html

Jim