Author Topic: Rob Roy McGregor  (Read 18881 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Roy McGregor
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 November 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Keep optimistic Marg and...welcome to RootsChat  :)

Sounds like you are taking it step by step in your research. If you want to add some details (names places dates) of where you are up to and have been able to verify, people can try to help. You may want to push backwards yourself too and do the research by yourself which is also good. If you need some help or support, just say  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 November 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
You don't need to go through GRO for records that far back, you can view them online
I assumed Marg was referring to the GRO (General Register Office for England and Wales) rather than GROS (General Register Office for Scotland).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 November 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Is it no Christ, Rosinish?

Skoosh.

Haha Skoosh  ;D

I'd heard before of someone connected to whoever it was at the time (possibly Rob Roy)?, did some research for the cousin who'd been given that information (no paperwork shown) only to discover that the supposed descendant was actually illegitimate with no father's name.
I told them they couldn't prove it without knowing who the father was (in order to proceed) & the reply was "but you can't prove he wasn't a descendant"  ::)
Of course now with DNA they could prove/disprove the theory.

Not too sure what I would have thought if told I was descended or related to such folk?

From my early days of interest in genealogy, I did know you need to work backwards, up the ladder not from the top down  :P
I think that would be a good bit harder than the correct route which can be more than difficult enough at times  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 November 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Annie, a couple of kind Americans paid for my DNA test, not that it did them much good or me, but interesting nevertheless. The  result was the "Niall of the Nine Hostages" group which was a bit of a surprise. Mebbes an Irish coal-man in the dim & distant n free coal-briquettes?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline megpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 November 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
"You don't need to go through GRO for records that far back, you can view them online "
 Where? please. I can only find number references mostly.
And yes I did mean English GRO as we are still near Sheffield, I think. Marg

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 November 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
"You don't need to go through GRO for records that far back, you can view them online "
 Where? please. I can only find number references mostly.
And yes I did mean English GRO as we are still near Sheffield, I think. Marg
No, you can't view GRO certificates online. You have to order them by post, currently £9.25 each.

You can view GROS ones online, currently £1.50 per certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline megpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 November 16 18:31 GMT (UK) »
thank you all for your help. Will keep researching - when we have dealt with last nights quake!

Offline megpter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 November 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi . MonicaL offered help and we are now stuck so would appreciate any help, even of help in where to look. We are trying to follow my grandfather Sydney Gregory's (born 10 Apr 1880 Hillsbro Tce Ecclesfield) male line back to Rob Roy as Sydney did on foot. His father was Walter Gregory (born7 jun 1844 sprout Stannington) His father was John Gregory and mother Elizabeth Peters. We have birth and marriage certificates for all these. John and Elizabeth were married feb 20 1842 in Rotherham. John's father was George Gregory, cutler. Elizabeth's father was John Peters who we found living in Rotherham in the 1841 census; which could explain how they met.
That is all we know for sure.
Any help would be welcome and thanks to all. Marg