Author Topic: Over Stowey Burials prior to 1813  (Read 4352 times)

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
Re: Over Stowey Burials prior to 1813
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 February 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Nedda

Have you read 'Paupers and Pig Killers.'?  It is the Diary of William Holland, vicar of Over Stowey, 1799-1818 and an interersting insight into life and the characters who lived in the parish.  William Holland is very outspoken about his parishoners. I read it when I first moved to the area 25 years ago and quickly realised that many of the people I got to know where direct decendants of those characters!  The book is published by Penguin Books but I can not see an ISBN number.

Offline nedda

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 February 12 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi KateW,

It's funny, my aunty rang me last week to say she has just ordered the book. So I will no doubt be reading it when she has finished.

Yes I'd like to get to know what life was like. Our relative was a bit naughty and had been caught stealing a number of times. I would like to get more of an idea of what exactly life was like I suppose that's the only way you can try to understand why they did what they did.

My aunty is going to the UK this year, so I'm hoping she would be able to squeeze in a visit to the area.

Thanks

Nedda
Walford - Over Stowey, Somerset
Harrold/Harold- Armagh, Australia
Durkan/Durcan, Leviston - Armagh
Pinker - Box & Christian Malford, Wiltshire
Hadfield - Mellor, Derbyshire
Sullivan - Tralee, Ireland
Kilchrist/Killchrist/Gilchriest/Gilchrist - West Riding Yorkshire, Lancashire & Australia

Offline Ali-Bali-Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 February 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just come across this thread whilst searching for information about an ancestor I believe we share. I have signed up to this site but have no idea how to use it. I was trying to send you a message but I couldn't work out how!

I am also related to the Walford family of Over Stowey. I believe John Walford is my 5 times great uncle. It would be good to speak with you and compare notes.

kind regards,

Offline Ali-Bali-Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 February 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nedda,

I have recieved your message but it will not let me reply other than like this. If you could message me your email address then I can respond via that.

kind regards,

Offline chriswall47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 18 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nedda,

I am wondering if you can help me tie up some loose ends in my family tree. I have two lots of the Walford line in my grandmother's line, Mary Walford married John Moore in 1804 at Nether Stowey. Mary's parents were John Walford and Mary Rich, and it is these two I am trying to find their births. I know John is not the one who murdered Jane Storney, but was he born in 1745 (I think the other John must have been born in 1748, as he was 21 when he was hung).

Can you help?

Chris

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
I would also look at Stogursey,  Strington, West Quantoxhead and in between Then you have Crowcombe etc.  All near by parishes over this side of the Quantocks, which some families would have headed too

Hubbies family were in Over Stowey, but also found in the above, either heading towards Stogursey later family, or coming from and working their way up from Minehead way. 

I'm pretty sure that very early parish records for Over Stowey and Nether Stowey were lost in the rebellion, so only BT's can be found for this time. 

My Nephew was married in Over Stowey Church