Author Topic: St Michaels Garston Liverpool  (Read 20167 times)

Offline HuwAlun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Garston Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 04 February 16 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing some research into my family history based around Robert Prophet, my great grandfather, and his time in St Helens as a landlord of the Ring O'Bells in that town.  His father was James Prophet, and the discussion going on on this website have filled in many missing bits of the jigsaw.
It seems that James came to Garston as a young man with his wife, Elizabeth.  They were both very young, and if Robert was born in Garston, then James and Elizabeth were, respectively, 16 and 14!  They also had a daughter who was two years younger than Robert.
I'm very interested in anything and everything you have on Robert and James Prophet, and back to Allen Prophet of Northwich (Leftwich).  My wife and I looked around the graveyard in St Michael's Garston for the Prophets, but failed to find anything.  Are the gravestones still there? If not howl does one find the confirmation of their being buried there?
I was also very pleased to see the references to the Victoria Hotel, which is still standing.  I'm yet to get my head around the date James started there.  Did they live there from the start? James is regeistered as a Saltboiler - a job that links him strongly with Northwich and the salt works there. 
I would be grateful for any further information, and to share what I have.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hiya HuwAlun and a warm welcome to Rootschat
Robert WAS born in Garston in 1847
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7YR-2TF
I will have a look around the churchyard for you - re the Saltworks - Garston had a huge Saltworks so coming from Northwich to Garston is no surprise.
Allen Keif Prophet was born 1869 and buried 15th June 1871
Harriet Keef Prophet was born 1874 and was buried 5th feb 1874
Elizabeth Prophet was born 1833 and was buried 15th dec 1878
James Prophet was born 1879 and buried 11th dec 1879
Allen Prophet was born 1796 and buried 6th sept 1881
Jane Prophet was born 1858 and buried 2nd May 1886
the list goes on - have a look here
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&englishSubcountryName=Lancashire&query=%2Bsurname%3Aprophet~%20%2Bany_place%3Agarston~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22England%2CLancashire%22

you will notice James Prophet married Jane HAZELHURST - 1879
The Hazelhurst family are still here in Garston ....
I will ask the locals about the Prophet family - I know of a Victoria Prophet in her 50's - but I don't know if she was born a Prophet ....I will find out in the pub....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline HuwAlun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much for this.  I would really like to know when James took over the Victora Hotel.  I know that the census of 1851 and 1861 show him as a salt boiler in the Saltworks (and I assume that there must have been living quarters in the Saltworks - do you know anything about these?).  The Saltworks closed in 1865 I believe, so I assume James moved to the Victoria Hotel at that time.  Who owned the Victoria Hotel (one of the breweries?), and who was the previous landlord, if any?
James' first wife was my relative, but it's interesting to know that he remarried (and not that long after Elizabeth's death!).  I have also seen reference to his having married a third time - do you know anything of this?
Finally, I believe that Robert had a sister 2 years his junior.  Elisabeth (I've got this from a previous conversation on RootsChat.).  Any idea what became of her?  I don't think she appears on the 1861 census?!
I'm giving you more reason to spend time in the pub I think...

Offline HuwAlun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Jane Prophet, 1858, is interesting. No mention of her in 1861 census.  Maybe not a child of James and Elizabeth.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
The Victoria was a Greenhall Whitley pub ...closed down about 8 years ago ...the saltworks owned the streets Ultonia St   / Utopia St etc a row of 4 streets and the workers had those houses provided by the company ....
Jane Prophet was born 1858 and buried 2nd May 1886 - so she never married - I will see if I can find her in the 1871 / 1881 census
ADDED   I think that Jane Prophet may be Jane Hazelhurst - who became Jane Prophet when she married James Prophet in 1879 ...so on her death record it states Jane Prophet born 1858 - died 1886 but pretty certain she was born Hazelhurst.. :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Well he didn't hang around did he
Jane was buried 2nd May 1886 and James married Mary Jane Atkin on 5th september 1886
looks like she was a widow as her father was Thomas Holmes

Offline HuwAlun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 February 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Jane Prophet, 1858, is interesting. No mention of her in 1861 census.  Maybe not a child of James and Elizabeth.

Offline md860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 September 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Elizabeth Prophet married John Davies in st Nicholas church Liverpool 16/10/1866 and came to Swansea in 1870. If anyone has any information on John I would be very interested...thanks

Offline Rammy Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Where do I begin..........

James Prophet (1828 - 1900)was my great grandfather. It has taken me absolutely ages to sort his ancestry out, but I am confident I have now got him spot on, apart from his son Robert Prophet, who is still a bit of a conundrum.

James married 4 times.
7/6/1846 to Elizabeth Dougherty who died at the age of 23 on 28/2/1850.

16/6/1850 (less than 4 months later) to Elizabeth Shaw who at the time was 17 years old. She died on 10/12/1878 aged 45.

27/2/1879 (less than 3 months later) to Jane Hazelhurst (my great grandmother) who was 21 years old. She died 27/4/1886 aged 28 years old.

5/9/1886 (4 months later) to a widow Mary Jane Atkin who was 43 years old. She died aged 54 on 2/7/1897.

He died on 17/8/1900 and is buried in St Michaels. He was born in Witton cum Twinbrooks, near Northwich and moved to Garston with his father Allen (1798-1881). Originally he did work at the saltworks with his father before taking over the Victoria.

Funnily enough Mary Jane left her money to St Michaels and not him.
James mother was disowned by her family for being an alcoholic and committed suicide in 1858 at the home of Joseph Keefe of 7 Alfred Street (now demolished)

Garstonite kindly found James Prophet's gravestone and sent me a photo. I also have a photo of James outside the Victoria in the early 1880's. He was a big chap.

He had an eventful life. :o