Author Topic: Descendants of Ronald MacDonald b.1878  (Read 1393 times)

Offline ryan23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of Ronald MacDonald b.1878
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that you could help with the following. I am looking for information on the children of Ronald MacDonald (b. 12 May 1878, d. 17 May 1944), Dumfries. I have discovered that he married an Elsie Isabella Cronin (b. Jan-Mar 1902, d. c1975) on 26 Dec 1923 possibly residing in Buccleuch street, Dumfries.

All that I have been able to gather so far is that there is likely to be at least one son, as Ronald's death certificate was signed by him, an "* MacDonald".

* Edited to protect people's identity

Offline ryan23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Ronald MacDonald b.1878
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I understand this might be quite hard to find as it's based on looking at later years, but does anyone know a way I can find out this information or even if I can?

The reason I want to know this is because the children (if they are still alive) have a half sister (who is my grandmother) which they will not be aware of.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Ryan23, I am sorry for you but this period, as you are finding, is really hard. Can't really been done online as the information will not in the main be available.

It is certainly outside of the period where RootsChat can really be much help to you due to one of RC's main rules of protecting people's identity if they are still living or possibly living - unless people use the Private Message service (PMs) to contact you and you can exchange info this way.

One thing that you could consider if the marriage was in 1923 is to visit a large Registrar's office (are you in Scotland?). I understand that from, I think, 1928 you can search for births including mother's maiden name. You cannot do this online but I undertand this can be done at the Scotlands People Hub in Edinburgh (no reason I would think why this can't then be done at other major centres/registrar offices.  Something perhaps to follow up on.

However, you are still going to have the issue of what to do with the potential list of children you will find and how to trace them to current day.....

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ryan23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help Monica. I live in England so would have to make another trip to Scotland some time, but its good to know what we should be looking for before we go - whether we get any closer to finding the answers is another matter!