Author Topic: Herbert Roy Harris executed for murder  (Read 7395 times)

Offline GJLODGE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert Roy Harris executed for murder
« on: Thursday 05 January 12 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Over the last few years I have been involved in the history and events surrounding the prison at Strangeways in Manchester, some of which can be seen here
http://www.manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_26.htm
and has some facts about the case.

I have on several occasions used the Freedom of Information Act to try to gain facts. I managed to secure the burial details of those prisoners executed at Strangeways and what happened to their remains. However what happened to the remains of one individual is a mystery, that being Herbert Roy Harris executed for murder in 1952. It seems from the Strangeways burial registers that his remains were exhumed and returned to the family in December 1966.

The question to be asked is why? As far as I can ascertain the remains of convicted murderers were not returned to their families unless a posthumous pardon was given by the Sovereign, and this has only happened three times since 1945. This does not seem to be the case with Herbert Roy Harris.

So why the mystery? I have, one as yet unproven theory. Can anyone give any substantiated incite into this?

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Roy Harris executed for murder
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 07:25 GMT (UK) »
A brilliant site!!!!!!!!! Just spent ages reading it.

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
From what I understand the burial ground at strangeways was cleared, even the remains of the fenian group of Allen, Lark & O'Brien were exhumed, cremated and secretly disposed off in recent years

To me it makes more sense to hand a body back to the family than foot the reburial cost.   
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline mrsericnorthman

• RootsChat Member
  • True, I am no lady but you sir, are no gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
why is everybody so interested in Herbert Roy Harris exactly?
Sulley - Norman - Robinson - Emms - Titcomb - Stone - May - Rose - Grubb

Offline midmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I think that Gerard is interested because as his post states and also his site, he is compiling a history of Strangeways. He is trying to ascertain where the remains of Mr Harris now lie.
I get the feeling from your post you may be worried about this so you may find it useful to send the original poster a PM with your query.
Leics: Edlin, Isam, Wright, Wesson
Notts: Smith, Hughes.
Lancs: Dobbin, Rowlinson, Marr, Povall, Hall, Halliwell
Berks/ Sussex: Dearlove, Carter, Marchant.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GJLODGE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
Since I first posted this thread I have learned  that this was not the only case of the remains of an executed prisoner being returned to the family without a pardon being granted. In my opinion the case against Harris was weak.There were at least two similar cases of this earlier in 1966. When the Act of Parliament which abolished hanging for a temporary period of 5 years was passed  in 1965 such reburials were made legal for the first time in the UK.

Offline emsybob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I just read this thread and was wondering what do you mean 'the case against Harris was weak'? What are you basing this on?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion the case against Harris was weak.There were at least two similar cases of this earlier in 1966. When the Act of Parliament which abolished hanging for a temporary period of 5 years was passed  in 1965 such reburials were made legal for the first time in the UK.
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Jack Reece

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
He is buried in Flint Cemetery in Flintshire North Wales. I was the undertaker who buried his mother 9 years ago. I know all the details and grave sites etc. if you wish to contact me.