Author Topic: Old photo stuck on glass  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old photo stuck on glass
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 May 05 22:36 BST (UK) »
Well done. How exciting I can't wait! Aren't these Rootschat experts brilliant.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 May 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
Absolutely, positively!!!!!!
Godfrey-Co. Kerry, Ireland and Kent; Flynn, Clifford, O'Sullivan, & Slattery-Milltown, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 May 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
I am now going to try and restore photos and maybe even colour them. Deadants has sent me loads of links but having downloaded some of the software it looks really complicated. But as usual I won't be defeated. Roll on the weekend!

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 00:02 BST (UK) »
it looks really complicated. But as usual I won't be defeated. Roll on the weekend!

That's the Spirit. What software are you going to use? Don't forget we are here to answer your questions.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 00:14 BST (UK) »
I've downloaded Ultimate paint  and Photoplus6. Are these the right ones? I had a go and made a total mess. Which bit of the photo do I do first? I tried the contrast and then the brightness. This seemed OK. Then I started messing around spraying the background and it looked worse than a 3 year olds effort at nursery. Sorry to all the 3 year olds.

The colours seem like primary and I haven't worked out yet how to do skin or pastels but its early days and if its difficult it will make me more determined to master it. The trouble is I'm not artistic although I do like watercolour painting but only of the things I can see. I have no imagination as I deal in facts (I am a scientist by trade).

Jane

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 11:19 BST (UK) »
hey! don't be so down on scientists. either you're not giving yourself enough credit in the imagination department or it's something other than being a scientist by trade. my sister is a scientist by trade and is unbelievably artistic and i'm a scientist by training and love being creative. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you're not giving yourself enough credit with your imagination (or maybe you're just not good with visualization but might be very good in other areas.) anyway, just needed to put my two cents in. i promise to get onto rescanning the photo and posting it soon.
Godfrey-Co. Kerry, Ireland and Kent; Flynn, Clifford, O'Sullivan, & Slattery-Milltown, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Offline Flynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 May 05 20:44 BST (UK) »
again, HELP!!!! ??? i have been trying to attach the scan that i've made of the photo that i soaked off the glass but i can't get the file small enough to attach. what am i not doing that i should be doing? i've tried the help on the site but no mention of how to rectify my problem. i'm dying to share my success with NO success.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 May 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
Have you reduced the resolution to 72?

Jane

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 May 05 23:27 BST (UK) »
again, HELP!!!! ??? i have been trying to attach the scan that i've made of the photo that i soaked off the glass but i can't get the file small enough to attach.

Hi Flyn,
  What graphics software are you using? You might want to download copy of infranview http://www.irfanview.com/  This will allow you to resize your photo to something more reasonale.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)