Author Topic: Grammar school Taplow, circa 1926?  (Read 14280 times)

Offline jenny br

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Grammar school Taplow, circa 1926?
« on: Friday 06 January 12 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know anything about a boarding school for boys in Taplow 1926-31? How can I find out if records exist? My father was supposed to have been a pupil, but that is all I know. Any ideas? Thanks.
Jenny Br.
Dickenson-Yorks-Lincs,
Stanton-Derbys
Henson-Derbys.
Blanksby-Rotherham-Derbys.
Bailey-Rotherham
Courtnall-Derbys-Sheffield-Eckington
Golland-Derbys-Notts
Hartley Chapman-Rotherham
Braunegg-Austria-Australia
Boulton/Bolton- Yorks
Whitton-Sheffield

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grammar school Taplow, circa 1926?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 12 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Taplow is in Buckinghamshire, so I will move this to that board.

A couple of other people have asked questions about the school in the past.  These are links to the posts and the information on some of the later posts may be of interest to you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,500822.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442028.0.html

Unfortunately there are no records for the school at Aylesbury (Buckinghamshire archives).  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenny br

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell for the reply. As the other member said -great shame that no records exist. Good to know anyway that the place did exist and I can at least mention its' existence in the family history story. But if anyone has any other anecdotal info it would be great.Thanks for trying.
Regards Jennybr.
Dickenson-Yorks-Lincs,
Stanton-Derbys
Henson-Derbys.
Bailey-Rotherham
Golland-Derbys-Notts
Boulton/Bolton- Yorks
Whitton-Sheffield

Offline peterbh69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I have just read your message and would be very happy to discuss Taplow Grammar as I was a pupil at it in 1936-1943 although going by your dates I can't claim to be as old as that. The school I went to was in Railway road and had a tuck shop about 100 yds up the road. If I can be of any help you can contact me through this web site which I joined today so that I could send you this message.

Offline jenny br

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the interest in my query. I just wondered what the school was like. I don't even know for certain that my dad actually attended, as info is extremely sketchy. The story goes that my dad's grandma visited the school, as my dad was a boarder and she was very shocked to see the conditions of the boarding area that her grandson was in. Thereafter I don't know whether he continued as a student or he was tranfered elsewhere. A shame no records of past students is available. Any ideas? I believe that students came from many areas and it was a private Grammar School. My dad came from Yorkshire and it would have been his grandma that would have paid his fees.
Thanks,
Jenny Br.
Dickenson-Yorks-Lincs,
Stanton-Derbys
Henson-Derbys.
Bailey-Rotherham
Golland-Derbys-Notts
Boulton/Bolton- Yorks
Whitton-Sheffield

Offline wbn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was a Taplow Grammar School Boarder in 1943 !    would like to correspond with anyone with interest in the school   Look forward to hear from you   WillN

Offline peterbh69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
:)Hi! I am certainly very interested in making contact as I was at Taplow Grammar Schoool (assuming it was the one close to Maidenhead and in Railway Road) in 1943 and thereabouts.
As you will appreciate I am getting a bit old in the tooth now (84) but would love to chat more. Just to get the ball rolling the Principal and Headmaster at th time I was there was a Mr Williams and his wife was the Matron. If this should get any grey matter going please do write again and maybe we could chat more in depth.
Hope to hear from you. PBH

Offline wbn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,   I am 77 and was boarding at Taplow when Mr Williams and his (Matron) wife were there. My father had Mill House  at Hurley at the time and when the East Arms Hotel was in existence  (if you might know of them).  Do you recall who was the main Housemaster and also there was a Master--ex policeman from Liverpool. Friends at that time were  DuVergier,Fry and a Jewish boy --name will come to me. The Tuckshop was just along Boundary Road-------the School had its own reared Turkeys !!
Might there be other past pupils from that era around ?-------I was Yorkshire born and returned there in-between terms -- or to Hurley.
A quick response to yours------am very pleased you responded.
During my school years I was known by my middle name Brian------I know my mother had preferred this-----although she had died in 1940!

For now   very best wishes to you Peter.             Perhaps we might exchange e-mail addresses--------and communicate direct ?   UNLESS there is someone else out there who has an interest.    Whatever,shall be pleased to hear further from you.

Offline peterbh69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi! WBN did you get my reply ok? I gave you my email address.
Cheers
PeterBH