Author Topic: Help with Byrnes  (Read 1771 times)

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Byrnes
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, hope some one can help.

I have now become a bit stuck with tracing my Byrne branch, my dads side.  I have just got the marriage cert for my great grandad Patrick Byrne.  He married Julia O'Brien on 10 Nov 1889, he was living at 33 Dominick St Lower at the time of his marriage.  His profession is as a printer (later on the 1901 census he is a compositor).  His father (my great great grandfather) is Patrick Byrne, you can now see my problem :-)  His profession is as an artist, that's all it says on the certificate.  Could this be linked to a newspaper?  My great grandfather would have been born about 1868.

Thanks
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Byrnes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Artist is vague, a connection to a newspaper could be as a court artist/ depiction artist prior to common use of photographs

I am also stuck on a Byrne branch they are plentiful and with similar names without proof making connections is difficult. I had a quick look at Irish Geneology for a Patrick Byrne marriage that might show artist as occupation but once you go back to the 1850s/60s the records are not as comprehensive and the Patrick Byrnes run into hundreds.

best of luck - I watch out while searching for mine
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Patrick Byrne
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
This is a very common name and is making tracing my family quite hair pulling, as no doubt the same for many others.

My grandfather was Charles Byrne, born 21st June 1896 at 27 Elizabeth St, Clonliffe.  His father was Patrick Byrne, born abt 1868.  Married Julia O'Brien 10th Nov 1889 at the Church of St Andrew.  His address at time of wedding was 53 Dominick St and his occupation was a printer.  Although later on the 1901 census his occupation is a compositor.  His wife at the time of marriage was living at 13 Denzille St.  His father is down as Patrick Byrne, occupation artist.

So what I would like to now find is information about Patrick Byrne the artist.  So I am hoping somebody may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Moderator Note : Merged with earlier topic on the same family
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Since October I have located my illusive Bridget Byrne; so don't lose hope!

I had a quick look at the family and suggest a bit of lateral investigation if not already tried;

Irishgenealogy has the baptism records for Margaret 1890; Elizabeth 1892; Anna 1894; and Charles (Carolus Petrus) in 1896
A Michael Byrne is the sponsor for both Margaret and Charles; possibly Patrick's brother

On the Irish census if you search in 1901 for a Michael presuming he is still alive as;
Mic*; Byrne; born Dublin; age 33 (same as Patrick +/-5) there are only 34 men of which 2 are Printers or compositors (which was often a family trade)

Following these to form a match may well help (it may not but it may)

one is living with in-laws which makes life a bit easier and it is an unusual name Powderly; by co-incidence I note that you, as I do, have Donohoes listed; this Michael's MIl was a Rose Donohue who married Eugene (Owen) Powderly

I finally found my Bridget by going back over all the records again and reviewing those available and found reference to her mother on an original record that had not been transcribed, just keep trying!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hey myluck !

That could be a good lead as the father in law Owen Powderly is listed as being a painter - maybe the Patrick Byrne was a decorator /  artist / painter as opposed to an artist.

Super lateral thinking of yours if you ask me !!

Tara

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes going around the wall is easier than trying to climb it!!
Still need proof and all that but proving people are siblings in the 1880/1890s is easier than finding their parents pre 1850 and if you are really lucky you can find one records more information than another!

modified to add

I have also located 2nd and 3rd cousins from pursuing this line of investigation of siblings and their families had more information than ours which they were willing to share.
Further generations:

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks myluck and tara.  Didn't realise that I had posted this before in Oct.

1901 census has -

Patrick Byrne(my great grandad) head of family, age 33 and a compositor.
              Julia Byrne wife age 33
              Margaret Byrne daughter age 10
              Elizabeth Byrne daughter age 9
              Anne Byrne daughter age 7
              Charles Byrne (my grandad)son age 4
              Margaret O'Brien mother in law age 50

the family were living at Bessborough Avenue North Dock

1911 census -

Julia Byrne head of family age 35 widow
             Margaret Byrne daughter age 17
             Annie Byrne daughter age 15
             Charles Byrne son age 13
             Mary K Byrne daughter age 9
             Christopher Byrne son age 5
             Margaret O'Brien border age 72

the family were living at 8 Emerald Street.

But of course it is Patrick Byrne my great great grandad that I am now trying to trace.  I did think that artist might be connected to the newspaper and that he was an illustrator.  The reason for this being his son was in the same type of trade and back then dads would try and get jobs for their sons in the same trade.  But at the same time he could even have been a street artist.

Myluck I will now have a luck up of Michael Byrne and hope that brings some results.

Intrestingly my grandad was still living at 8 Emerald Street when he got married in 1927, so the family seemed to have settled there.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Myluck, my Donohoes are on my mothers side of the family and from Cavan(so far).  Byrnes are my dads side.  But thanks for the help.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt

Offline Johanna Kelleher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Margnip2

Some of my family were living at 13 Denzille Street around the time that you are talking about, have you come across the name Best, Doyle, McDonagh, Gorman, Hayes or Kelly in your research. My Dublin maternal family had these names. My great grandfather Patrick Best also had a brother David who married a Mary Anne Flynn. I have also replied to a very old post of yours and sent you a personal message re the Gough Kelleher's as my paternal family were Goff Kellehers from Clondrohid in Co Cork.

Johanna